The incidence and prevalence of psychiatric disorders such as depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorder are higher in the rheumatoid arthritis population.
Making mental health predictions based on clinical presentation has major limitations.
CBT is effective in patients with bipolar disorder in decreasing the relapse rate and improving symptoms of depression and mania severity.
Patients with comorbid bipolar disorder and ADHD may benefit from methylphenidate treatment, if it can be done without incurring the risk of mania.
Intra-subject variability in reaction time (ISVRT) is viewed as a promising behavioral endophenotype for bipolar disorder.
Brain-derived Neurotrophic Factor and its Precursor proBDNF as Diagnostic Biomarkers for Mood DisordersSeptember 12, 2016
mBDNF/proBDNF ratio could potentially serve as a novel biomarker for mood disorders.
Until now, assessment of aerobic exercise capacity included expensive and time-consuming laboratory tests that do not necessarily accurately reflect patients' day-to-day physical functioning.
Irritability in Recovered Bipolar Disorder Patients Linked to Greater Morbidity, Depression RecurrenceAugust 22, 2016
Delayed depressive recovery occurred more in depressed patients with current irritability.
Direct comparison of white matter tracts between individuals with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder has not been performed to date.
Psychosocial and Demographic Predictors of Depression Among Individuals With Bipolar Disorder and SchizophreniaAugust 15, 2016
Bipolar disorder and schizophrenia are characterized by significant genetic overlap, as well as significant clinical presentation overlap.
The researchers quantified the transcript levels of GAD67, parvalbumin, somastatin, and Lhx6 in the prefrontal cortex.
New findings underline the potential importance of signaling pathways in the striatum for understanding bipolar disorder pathophysiology.
Exposure to Stressful Triggers Increases Risk for Violent Criminality Irrespective of Psychiatric ConditionJuly 13, 2016
The largest 7-day absolute risk of criminal violence was observed after exposure to violence in patients diagnosed with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, as well as in unaffected individuals.
Bipolar disorder (BD) is typically characterized by recurrent episodes of mania and depression, but the connection between BD and anxiety needs to be considered.
Neuroimaging studies have shown several neurophysiological substrates for depression: An overview by Theodore Henderson, MD, PhD.
Nicotine-dependent smokers who began smoking in the 1980s were more likely than older smokers to have a psychiatric condition, such as bipolar disorder, antisocial personality disorder, or ADHD.
Chicken genes are grouped into much smaller linkage blocks than mammalian genomes are, allowing researchers to pinpoint genome regions associated with a trait, such as anxious behavior.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders