Drug comparisons for mood disorders such as bipolar disorder, major depressive disorder, treatment resistant depression, premenstrual dysphoric disorder, and others.
Patients with bipolar disorder face a risk for suicide that is up to 20 times greater than that of the general population. However, the specific factors that contribute to this risk are not necessarily comparable across all populations.
In pediatric patients with bipolar I depression, long-term treatment with lurasidone 20 mg/day is effective in reducing depressive symptoms.
Investigators compared set-shifting, decision making, and central coherence in patients with bipolar disorder, OCD, and comorbid bipolar disorder with OCD.
These findings indicate a significant modulative effect of social cognition on neurocognition and community functioning in bipolar disorder and thus may be relevant in titrating treatment in patients with varying social cognition levels.
Communities that favor consanguineous marriage should receive sensitive advice on the risks involved to aid in reproductive decision making.
These results highlight the potential utility of incorporating personality functioning assessments into bipolar disorder I treatment plans to fully restore global functioning during remission.
Researchers noted that therapeutic interventions focused on GDF-15 levels may decrease mortality risk and increase longevity in patients with bipolar disorder.
Patients associated with caregivers who received family-focused treatment also demonstrated a significant decrease in depressive symptoms compared with patients associated with caregivers in the control group.
Individuals of African ancestry are more likely misdiagnosed with a disease other than bipolar disorder.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Suicide Attempts Associated With Sleep and Circadian Rhythm Disturbances in Bipolar Disorder
- Anatomical Patterns Present in Childhood ADHD May Predict Phenotypic Variation
- History of ADHD Associated With Increased Risk for Basal Ganglia and Cerebellum Disorders
- Probiotics, Depression, and the Role of Inflammation
- Psychotropic Medications May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Bipolar Disorder
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- Institutional Rearing Associated With Psychopathology Risk in Children
- Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Screening: Recommendations and Controversies
- Few Seniors Who Self-Harm Referred for Mental Health Care
- Violent Video Games Tied to Physical Aggression
- Vortioxetine Beats Escitalopram in Improving SSRI-Induced Sexual Dysfunction