Safety and efficacy of lurasidone monotherapy were assessed in children and adolescents with bipolar I depression.
Australian investigators found significant differences in early results from different treatments for bipolar disorder.
Ketamine can provide acute benefits for treatment-resistant depression, bipolar depression, and major depressive disorder with suicidal ideation.
Bipolar depression treatment response to lurasidone between baseline and week 2 indicates later treatment success.
Bipolar II depression therapy options revealed no significant differences in switch rate or treatment relapse.
A new agent would be the first oral treatment for suicidal behavior in patients with bipolar depression.
There are clear disadvantages to prescribing higher rather than lower doses of SGAs.
Patients with comorbid bipolar disorder and ADHD may benefit from methylphenidate treatment, if it can be done without incurring the risk of mania.
Intra-subject variability in reaction time (ISVRT) is viewed as a promising behavioral endophenotype for bipolar disorder.
Until now, the majority of postmortem research that has examined functionally related gene sets has been limited to a single disorder or region of the brain.
By using the Washington Early Recognition Center Affectivity and Psychosis (WERCAP) questionnaire, investigators accurately predicted bipolar disorder or schizophrenia in more than 85% of patients.
Brain-derived Neurotrophic Factor and its Precursor proBDNF as Diagnostic Biomarkers for Mood DisordersSeptember 12, 2016
mBDNF/proBDNF ratio could potentially serve as a novel biomarker for mood disorders.
Until now, assessment of aerobic exercise capacity included expensive and time-consuming laboratory tests that do not necessarily accurately reflect patients' day-to-day physical functioning.
Irritability in Recovered Bipolar Disorder Patients Linked to Greater Morbidity, Depression RecurrenceAugust 22, 2016
Delayed depressive recovery occurred more in depressed patients with current irritability.
Direct comparison of white matter tracts between individuals with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder has not been performed to date.
Psychosocial and Demographic Predictors of Depression Among Individuals With Bipolar Disorder and SchizophreniaAugust 15, 2016
Bipolar disorder and schizophrenia are characterized by significant genetic overlap, as well as significant clinical presentation overlap.
New findings underline the potential importance of signaling pathways in the striatum for understanding bipolar disorder pathophysiology.
Bipolar disorder (BD) is typically characterized by recurrent episodes of mania and depression, but the connection between BD and anxiety needs to be considered.
Neuroimaging studies have shown several neurophysiological substrates for depression: An overview by Theodore Henderson, MD, PhD.
Events that happen in childhood and adolescence can predispose individuals to suicidal behavior.
Patients with bipolar disorder taking lithium have lower rates of self-injury.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses