Successful management of both the manic and depressive states in bipolar disorder has been difficult to achieve, despite a broad range of pharmacologic treatments available.
Affective Temperaments in Bipolar Have a Significant Impact on Functional, Clinical Outcomes of Mania
Investigators sought to determine the influence of affective temperaments in BP I with regard to clinical and functional outcomes in mania.
Investigators conducted a meta-regression analysis to determine whether clinical response to active drugs or placebo has a greater effect in trials examining antipsychotics and mood stabilizers.
Patients experiencing bipolar depressive episodes with and without psychosis had similar treatment responses.
Results from a new study suggest that improving the regularity of sleep may be an effective therapy for both bipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder.
An overall reduction in symptoms with both therapies was noted.
Serum fatty acid levels were compared in unipolar and bipolar depression with euthymic bipolar disorder and non-psychiatric controls.
Long-term cognitive impairment was not observed over a 6-month period with right unilateral electroconvulsive therapy vs pharmacologic treatment.
Delayed sleep-wake phase disorder may be a predictor of relapse in euthymic patients with bipolar disorder.
Gonzalez R, Tohen M. Circadian rhythm and the prediction of relapse in bipolar disorder [published online December 26, 2017]. J Clin Psychiatry. doi: 10.4088/JCP.17com11821
Patient Education Materials
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Amisulpride May Be Most Effective Antipsychotic for Negative Symptoms in Schizophrenia
- Frustrations With Prior Authorization: A Thorn in the Side of Clinicians
- Efficacy of Drugs for Psychosis, Relapse Prevention for Bipolar Depression, Mania
- No Evidence of Cognitive Impairment With Lisdexamfetamine Dimesylate in ADHD
- Plasma Autoantibodies Possible Biomarker for Schizophrenia
- Substance-Induced Psychosis Associated With Development of Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder
- Neuropsychiatric Events May Be Linked to Nitrated Nucleosome Levels in Lupus
- New APA Guideline Recommendation for Treatment of Alcohol Use Disorder
- Reducing PTSD Symptoms: Propranolol Before Reactivation Therapy
- Cannabis Use Associated With Subsequent Psychotic Experiences in Adolescents
- Cognitive Enhancement Therapy Beneficial for Neurocognitive Function in Autism
- The Crisis of Physician Suicides: Past and Present
- Affective Temperaments in Bipolar Have a Significant Impact on Functional, Clinical Outcomes of Mania
- Ketamine: A Promising Agent for Managing Treatment-Resistant Depression
- Patterns of Healthcare Use Before Diagnosis of Psychotic Disorders in Young Adults