It has been proposed that inflammation stemming from persistent pathogens may influence the development of mood disorders.
Mood symptoms in patients with bipolar disease may be a marker of cognitive symptom severity or cognitive deficits.
Psychiatry Advisor interviews with Allegra I. Broft, MD, to explore the connection between bipolar disorder and binge eating disorder.
The prevalence of bipolar postpartum depression is greater than previously understood and requires distinct treatment.
Evidence suggests that several underlying mechanisms of bipolar disorder may be improved with dietary interventions, and good nutrition is associated with improved outcomes in this population.
Awareness of risk factors for bipolar disorder facilitates early intervention, typically beginning with lifestyle changes rather than pharmacotherapy.
As pharmacologic options have largely remained the same during the last decade, there exists a need to consider adjunctive therapies for bipolar disorder treatment.
Successful management of both the manic and depressive states in bipolar disorder has been difficult to achieve, despite a broad range of pharmacologic treatments available.
The potential to develop bipolar disorder can negatively affect school test scores even before the condition is diagnosed.
Investigators summarize data regarding the management of bipolar disorder during pregnancy and in the postpartum period.
Early Life Stress, Neuroendocrine Function Analysis Differentiates Borderline Personality Disorder From Bipolar Disorder
Analysis of early life stress and neuroendocrine function may help clinicians differentiate between borderline personality disorder and bipolar disorder.
Investigators suggest to optimize treatment to reduce depressive symptoms and focusing on therapeutic intervention for coping mechanisms in patients with bipolar disorder.
Adjunctive lurasidone improved syndromal depression and maintained euthymia in patients with bipolar disorder.
A study examined the effect of a recent manic episode on response to antidepressants in bipolar disorder.
Investigators evaluated the effects of psychoeducation intervention strategies on the patient's mood over 6 months post-treatment.
New to these guidelines are hierarchical rankings for first- and second-line treatment recommendations for acute mania, acute depression, and maintenance treatment.
Investigators examined cognitive effects of deep transcranial magnetic stimulations in patients with treatment-resistant depression.
Investigators summarize and present literature for treatment decisions made in pregnant women with bipolar disorder.
Mania-related memory bias is a predictor of mania recurrence in bipolar disorder.
Researchers identified youth at genetic risk for bipolar disorder and provided a psychosocial intervention to delay or prevent the onset of bipolar disorder.
Clinical and socio-demographical characteristics between bipolar I disorder, bipolar II disorder, and treatment-resistant unipolar depression were examined.
Investigators sought to determine the incidence of benzodiazepine and Z-drug initiation and predictors of long-term use in patients with bipolar disorder.
The incidence rates of depression and mania in adults with intellectual disabilities were examined.
Gonzalez R, Tohen M. Circadian rhythm and the prediction of relapse in bipolar disorder [published online December 26, 2017]. J Clin Psychiatry. doi: 10.4088/JCP.17com11821
Patient Education Materials
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Family History of Psychiatric Disorders an Important Predictor of Postpartum Psychiatric Illness
- Antidepressant Use May Be Linked With Sustained Risk for Weight Gain
- MDMA-Assisted Psychotherapy Effective for Treating PTSD in Veterans, First Responders
- New APA President Takes Office as the First African-American to Lead the Organization
- Substance Abuse and Primary Psychosis: A Closer Look
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- Cannabidiol Not Associated With Improvement in Chronic Schizophrenia
- Methadone Maintenance Therapy Associated With Greater Access to Physician Care in HCV-Positive Drug Users
- Mental Health Comorbidity Examined in Transgender and Gender-Nonconforming Youth
- New Dimensions in Psychopathy: Are There Cultural Differences in Psychopaths?
- Addressing Psychiatric Comorbidities in Inflammatory Rheumatic Diseases
- Exploring the Link Between Persistent Infection, Inflammation, and Mood Disorders
- CDC: No Change in Level of Uninsured in US in 2017
- Benefit of Behavioral Activation During TMS for Major Depressive Disorder