The Oregon Foundation for Reproductive Health recommends that all medical providers ask all female patients of reproductive age if they plan to become pregnant in the next year.
Bipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder reflect alternate expressions of the same underlying disorder.
The ability to track ingestion of medications prescribed for mental illness may be useful for some patients.
Comorbid anxiety disorders among patients with depression or bipolar disorder were not associated with suicide attempts.
Inclusion of supportive elements such as rehabilitation may help drive translation of cognitive improvements to broad functional measures.
Dopamine dysfunction underlies the pathoetiology of psychosis in both bipolar disorder and schizophrenia.
Asenapine decreases the time to recurrence of manic and depressive episodes among patients with bipolar I disorder.
People with both bipolar disorder and ADHD have similar neurocognitive profiles compared with people with only bipolar disorder.
Olanzapine was shown to be effective among patients with acute mania associated with bipolar I disorder.
Making mental health predictions based on clinical presentation has major limitations.
An M1-like proinflammatory state is associated with a poor response to antidepressant treatment in bipolar depression with evidence suggesting increased production of cytokines in patients with mood disorders.
Ketamine improves social function and academic performance in juvenile patients with bipolar disorder with a fear of harm phenotype.
For patients with bipolar disorder and major depressive disorder, reduction in dose of antipsychotic medication could lead to an increased rate of hospitalization.
Mixed state does not increase the risk for suicidal behavior beyond the risk associated with the depressive component.
Psychosis in patients with bipolar disorder was not associated with worse clinical or functional outcomes.
Children and adolescent offspring of patients with schizophrenia demonstrate more attenuated psychotic symptoms.
Lithium response may be predicted with better accuracy by a new model.
Childhood trauma modulates the effects of bipolar disorder on the amygdala and hippocampus by causing an increase in the volumes of gray matter.
New bipolar I disorder treatment Abilify Maintena is only required once a month.
Pregnant women with bipolar disorder receiving psychotropic medication did not experience less functional impairment and symptom burden.
Bipolar disorder probability in the offspring of a parent with BP was assessed by a risk calculator.
Australian investigators found significant differences in early results from different treatments for bipolar disorder.
In bipolar disorder, neurocognitive impairment needs to be considered a therapeutic clinical target to improve psychosocial functioning.
Manic relapse in bipolar disorder is connected to thyroid disease.
Bipolar disorder mood relapse episodes were delayed with risperidone long-acting injection.
Bipolar disorder treatment with lamotrigine during pregnancy may also prevent postpartum depressive episodes.
Depressed patients with diagnoses that ultimately converted to bipolar disorder had been diagnosed with depression earlier.
Ketamine can provide acute benefits for treatment-resistant depression, bipolar depression, and major depressive disorder with suicidal ideation.
Neither bipolar disorder nor lithium treatment was associated with increased cancer incidence.
Quetiapine-XR may be effective in reducing substance abuse in patients with bipolar disorder.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- FOSTA-SESTA Threatens Sex Worker Livelihoods: What Mental Health Providers Should Know
- Strong Social Networks May Mitigate the Effects of Childhood Adversity
- Sodium Valproate May Lower Amygdala Volume in Pediatric Bipolar Disorder
- False Positives in Mood Disorders Questionnaire Screening for Bipolar Disorder
- Suicidal Behavior More Likely in Depression, Bipolar Disorder With Mixed Features
- Medical Clearance of Psych Patients in the ED: Consensus Recommendations
- From Abused Child to Serial Killer: Investigating Nature vs Nurture in Methods of Murder
- Managing Comorbid Migraine and Mood Disorders: A Synergistic Approach
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Effective in Reducing Suicide Attempts, Self-Harm in Adolescents
- Novel Parent-Child Interaction Therapy Targets Preschool-Aged Depression
- Challenges Psychiatrists Face in Treating Patients with Bipolar Disorder
- Parent-Child Interaction Therapy May Improve Depression and Emotional Function
- Identifying Problems of Functioning in Schizophrenia Informs Approaches to Intervention
- Visual Hallucinations in Dementia and Parkinson Disease: Assessment of Patient, Caregiver Experiences
- FDA Outlines Plan for Increasing Nonprescription Drug Availability