The Oregon Foundation for Reproductive Health recommends that all medical providers ask all female patients of reproductive age if they plan to become pregnant in the next year.
Bipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder reflect alternate expressions of the same underlying disorder.
The ability to track ingestion of medications prescribed for mental illness may be useful for some patients.
Comorbid anxiety disorders among patients with depression or bipolar disorder were not associated with suicide attempts.
Inclusion of supportive elements such as rehabilitation may help drive translation of cognitive improvements to broad functional measures.
Dopamine dysfunction underlies the pathoetiology of psychosis in both bipolar disorder and schizophrenia.
Asenapine decreases the time to recurrence of manic and depressive episodes among patients with bipolar I disorder.
People with both bipolar disorder and ADHD have similar neurocognitive profiles compared with people with only bipolar disorder.
Olanzapine was shown to be effective among patients with acute mania associated with bipolar I disorder.
Making mental health predictions based on clinical presentation has major limitations.
An M1-like proinflammatory state is associated with a poor response to antidepressant treatment in bipolar depression with evidence suggesting increased production of cytokines in patients with mood disorders.
Ketamine improves social function and academic performance in juvenile patients with bipolar disorder with a fear of harm phenotype.
For patients with bipolar disorder and major depressive disorder, reduction in dose of antipsychotic medication could lead to an increased rate of hospitalization.
Mixed state does not increase the risk for suicidal behavior beyond the risk associated with the depressive component.
Psychosis in patients with bipolar disorder was not associated with worse clinical or functional outcomes.
Children and adolescent offspring of patients with schizophrenia demonstrate more attenuated psychotic symptoms.
Lithium response may be predicted with better accuracy by a new model.
Childhood trauma modulates the effects of bipolar disorder on the amygdala and hippocampus by causing an increase in the volumes of gray matter.
New bipolar I disorder treatment Abilify Maintena is only required once a month.
Pregnant women with bipolar disorder receiving psychotropic medication did not experience less functional impairment and symptom burden.
Bipolar disorder probability in the offspring of a parent with BP was assessed by a risk calculator.
Australian investigators found significant differences in early results from different treatments for bipolar disorder.
In bipolar disorder, neurocognitive impairment needs to be considered a therapeutic clinical target to improve psychosocial functioning.
Manic relapse in bipolar disorder is connected to thyroid disease.
Bipolar disorder mood relapse episodes were delayed with risperidone long-acting injection.
Bipolar disorder treatment with lamotrigine during pregnancy may also prevent postpartum depressive episodes.
Depressed patients with diagnoses that ultimately converted to bipolar disorder had been diagnosed with depression earlier.
Ketamine can provide acute benefits for treatment-resistant depression, bipolar depression, and major depressive disorder with suicidal ideation.
Neither bipolar disorder nor lithium treatment was associated with increased cancer incidence.
Quetiapine-XR may be effective in reducing substance abuse in patients with bipolar disorder.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Hospitalization Rates in Schizophrenia—Lurasidone vs Quetiapine
- Psychopathology of Adults Affected by Pre- and Perinatal Factors, Family Functioning
- Family History of Psychiatric Disorders an Important Predictor of Postpartum Psychiatric Illness
- Anxiety: Feature of Late-Onset Dementia or Modifiable Risk Factor?
- New APA President Takes Office as the First African-American to Lead the Organization
- Video Games and Exercise as Alternative Therapies for ADHD
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- Comorbid Autism Spectrum Disorder and OCD: Challenges in Diagnosis and Treatment
- New Dimensions in Psychopathy: Are There Cultural Differences in Psychopaths?
- Addressing Psychiatric Comorbidities in Inflammatory Rheumatic Diseases
- Exploring the Link Between Persistent Infection, Inflammation, and Mood Disorders
- CDC: No Change in Level of Uninsured in US in 2017
- Benefit of Behavioral Activation During TMS for Major Depressive Disorder