Generic Name and Formulations:
Anthrax vaccine adsorbed; per 0.5mL dose; susp for IM or SC inj; contains aluminum hydroxide, benzethonium chloride, formaldehyde.
Emergent BioSolutions Inc.
Indications for BIOTHRAX:
Pre-exposure prophylaxis of disease caused by Bacillus anthracis in high risk persons due to occupation or other activities for anthrax disease. Post-exposure prophylaxis after suspected or confirmed Bacillus anthracis exposure, when given with recommended antibacterial drugs.
For IM inj (into the deltoid) or SC inj (over the deltoid) only. Each dose is 0.5mL. 18–65yrs (Pre-exposure): give as IM inj at 0, 1, and 6 months with booster doses at 6 and 12 months after completion of primary series, then at 12-month intervals thereafter; if at risk of hematoma: may give as SC inj at 0, 2, 4 weeks, and 6 months with booster doses at 6 and 12 months after completion of primary series, then at 12-month intervals thereafter; (Post-exposure): give as SC inj at 0, 2, and 4 weeks post-exposure in combination with antimicrobial therapy.
Severe allergic reaction after a previous BioThrax dose.
Vaccination may not protect all individuals. Have medical treatment and supervision available to manage anaphylactic reactions. History of anthrax disease. Latex allergy. Immunocompromised. Elderly (>65yrs): not indicated. Pregnancy (Cat.D): not recommended. Nursing mothers.
Concomitant other vaccines: inject at different sites. Concomitant immunosuppressants, chemotherapy, high-dose corticosteroids (>2 weeks), radiation therapy: may get sub-optimal response.
Tenderness, pain, erythema, edema, limited arm motion, muscle aches, fatigue, headache; allergic reactions.
Register pregnant patients in the Vaccine pregnancy registry by calling (619) 553-9255.
Multi-dose vials (5mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Short Forms of Parent General Behavior Inventory Reliable at Identifying Youth Mood Symptoms
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents
- Strong Social Networks May Mitigate the Effects of Childhood Adversity
- Unexpected Effect of Substance Use Disorders on Recovery From Bipolar Depression
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Opioid Use Disorder Prevalence at Delivery on the Rise in the US, According to CDC
- Integrating Treatments for Opioid Use Disorder and Infectious Diseases