Generic Name and Formulations:
Praziquantel 600mg; scored tabs.
Indications for BILTRICIDE:
For the treatment of infections due to: all species of schistosoma, and infections due to the liver flukes, Clonorchis sinensis/Opisthorchis viverrini.
Adults and Children:
Swallow whole with water during meals. <4yrs: not established. ≥4yrs: Schistosomiasis: 20mg/kg 3 times daily as a one day treatment, at intervals ≥4hrs and ≤6hrs. Clonorchiasis, opisthorchiasis: 25mg/kg 3 times daily as a one day treatment, at intervals ≥4hrs and ≤6hrs.
Ocular cysticercosis. Concomitant strong CYP450 inducers (eg, rifampin).
Renal or moderate-to-severe hepatic impairment. History of epilepsy. Cerebral cysticercosis: hospitalize patient for duration of treatment. Monitor patients with cardiac irregularities. Possible clinical deterioration (paradoxical reactions, serum sickness Jarisch-Herxheimer like reactions). Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended and during subsequent 72hrs.
See Contraindications. Discontinue rifampin 4 weeks before giving praziquantel; may be restarted one day after completing praziquantel treatment. Potentiated by CYP450 inhibitors (eg, cimetidine, ketoconazole, itraconazole, erythromycin), grapefruit juice. Antagonized by CYP450 inducers (eg, phenytoin, phenobarbital, carbamazepine, dexamethasone).
Malaise, headache, dizziness, abdominal discomfort with or w/o nausea, fever, urticaria.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad