Generic Name and Formulations:
Praziquantel 600mg; scored tabs.
Indications for BILTRICIDE:
For the treatment of infections due to: all species of schistosoma, and infections due to the liver flukes, Clonorchis sinensis/Opisthorchis viverrini.
Adults and Children:
Swallow whole with water during meals. <4yrs: not established. ≥4yrs: Schistosomiasis: 20mg/kg 3 times daily as a one day treatment, at intervals ≥4hrs and ≤6hrs. Clonorchiasis, opisthorchiasis: 25mg/kg 3 times daily as a one day treatment, at intervals ≥4hrs and ≤6hrs.
Ocular cysticercosis. Concomitant strong CYP450 inducers (eg, rifampin).
Renal or moderate-to-severe hepatic impairment. History of epilepsy. Cerebral cysticercosis: hospitalize patient for duration of treatment. Monitor patients with cardiac irregularities. Possible clinical deterioration (paradoxical reactions, serum sickness Jarisch-Herxheimer like reactions). Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended and during subsequent 72hrs.
See Contraindications. Discontinue rifampin 4 weeks before giving praziquantel; may be restarted one day after completing praziquantel treatment. Potentiated by CYP450 inhibitors (eg, cimetidine, ketoconazole, itraconazole, erythromycin), grapefruit juice. Antagonized by CYP450 inducers (eg, phenytoin, phenobarbital, carbamazepine, dexamethasone).
Malaise, headache, dizziness, abdominal discomfort with or w/o nausea, fever, urticaria.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders