Generic Name and Formulations:
Isosorbide dinitrate 20mg, hydralazine HCl 37.5mg; scored tabs.
Arbor Pharmaceuticals, LLC
Indications for BIDIL:
Heart failure (HF) in black patients, as adjunct to standard treatment, to improve survival, prolong time to hospitalization for HF, and improve patient-reported functional status.
Limitations Of use:
Not established in NYHA Class IV HF.
Initially 1 tab 3 times daily, may reduce to ½ tab 3 times daily if not tolerated; titrate as tolerated after 3–5 days. Max 2 tabs 3 times daily.
Allergy to organic nitrates. Concomitant PDE5 inhibitors (eg, avanafil, sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil), or riociguat.
Correct volume/salt depletion prior to initiation. Hypotension. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Discontinue if syncope occurs. Give pyridoxine if peripheral neuritis occurs. Hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Vasodilators (nitrate + direct-acting).
See Contraindications. Severe hypotension with PDE5 inhibitors or riociguat.
Headache (usually transient), dizziness, asthenia, nausea, vomiting, hypotension, sinusitis, tachycardia, paresthesia, amblyopia; SLE.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Healthcare Community Should Favor More Restrictive Alcohol Policies
- How to Respond to a Patient's Request for Prayer: A Clinician's Dilemma
- Major Barriers to Useful Risk Prediction Must Be Overcome to Reach the Full Potential of Big Data
- ACA Coverage Gains Include Workers Without Insurance
- Steps Provided for Discharging Patients From Practice