BICILLIN L-A Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Penicillin G benzathine 600,000 units/mL; susp for deep IM inj; contains parabens.
Indications for BICILLIN L-A:
Susceptible infections, including mild to moderate upper respiratory strep infections, syphilis. Follow-up prophylaxis of rheumatic heart disease, acute glomerulonephritis.
Give by deep IM inj into upper outer quadrant of buttock; rotate inj sites. Upper respiratory Group A strep: 1.2 million units once. Syphilis (primary, secondary, latent): 2.4 million units once; (tertiary and neurosyphilis): 2.4 million units every 7 days for 3 doses. Rheumatic heart disease, acute glomerulonephritis: 1.2 million units once per month, or 600,000 units every 2 weeks.
Give by deep IM inj into upper outer quadrant of buttock or midlateral thigh; rotate inj sites. Upper respiratory Group A strep (<60 lbs): 300,000 to 600,000 units once; (>60 lbs): 900,000 units once. Congenital syphilis (<2yrs): 50,000 units/kg once; (≥2yrs): individualize.
Avoid intraarterial, intravascular, or intraneural injection.
Not for IV use. Cephalosporin, imipenem, or other allergy: not recommended. Asthma. Monitor renal and hematopoietic function in prolonged use. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) glucose test with Clinitest.
Rash, serum sickness, anaphylaxis, blood dyscrasias, neuropathy, nephropathy, inj site reactions.
Tubex 600,000 or 1.2 million units/syr (1 mL, 2 mL)—10 (w. 1 or 1.25 inch needles); Disposable syringe 2.4million units/syr (4 mL)—10 (w. 2 inch needles)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Suicide Risk After Self-Harm Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Safety, Efficacy of Deep Brain Stimulation for Alzheimer's
- Many Teens Who Use Tobacco Don't Self-Identify as Users
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations