BICILLIN L-A Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Penicillin G benzathine 600,000 units/mL; susp for deep IM inj; contains parabens.
Indications for BICILLIN L-A:
Susceptible infections, including mild to moderate upper respiratory strep infections, syphilis. Follow-up prophylaxis of rheumatic heart disease, acute glomerulonephritis.
Give by deep IM inj into upper outer quadrant of buttock; rotate inj sites. Upper respiratory Group A strep: 1.2 million units once. Syphilis (primary, secondary, latent): 2.4 million units once; (tertiary and neurosyphilis): 2.4 million units every 7 days for 3 doses. Rheumatic heart disease, acute glomerulonephritis: 1.2 million units once per month, or 600,000 units every 2 weeks.
Give by deep IM inj into upper outer quadrant of buttock or midlateral thigh; rotate inj sites. Upper respiratory Group A strep (<60 lbs): 300,000 to 600,000 units once; (>60 lbs): 900,000 units once. Congenital syphilis (<2yrs): 50,000 units/kg once; (≥2yrs): individualize.
Avoid intraarterial, intravascular, or intraneural injection.
Not for IV use. Do not admix with other IV solutions. Reports of inadvertent IV administration has been associated with cardiorespiratory arrest and death.
Not for IV use. Cephalosporin, imipenem, or other allergy: not recommended. Asthma. Monitor renal and hematopoietic function in prolonged use. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) glucose test with Clinitest.
Rash, serum sickness, anaphylaxis, blood dyscrasias, neuropathy, nephropathy, inj site reactions.
Tubex 600,000 or 1.2 million units/syr (1 mL, 2 mL)—10 (w. 1 or 1.25 inch needles); Disposable syringe 2.4million units/syr (4 mL)—10 (w. 2 inch needles)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents