Generic Name and Formulations:
Timolol (as hemihydrate) 0.25%, 0.5%; oph. soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Indications for BETIMOL:
1 drop twice daily.
Overt heart failure. Cardiogenic shock. Sinus bradycardia. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Asthma. Severe COPD.
Discontinue if heart failure develops and prior to surgery. Not for use as sole agent in narrow-angle glaucoma. Avoid abrupt cessation. Cerebrovascular insufficiency. Diabetes. COPD. Bronchospastic disease. May mask signs of hypoglycemia, thyrotoxicosis. Myasthenia gravis. Bacterial keratitis. Measure IOP after 4 wks of treatment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May potentiate systemic β-blockers, reserpine. May cause conduction defects with calcium channel blockers, digitalis. May antagonize β-agonists. May block epinephrine.
Ocular irritation, eyelid erythema, conjunctival injection, headache, epiphora, photophobia. Systemic β-blocking effects (bradycardia, arrhythmias, hypotension, bronchospasm, heart failure).
Soln—5mL, 10mL, 15mL
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders