Generic Name and Formulations:
Interferon beta-1b 0.3mg; per vial; pwd for SC inj after reconstitution; contains albumin (human), mannitol; preservative-free.
Indications for BETASERON:
To reduce the frequency of clinical exacerbations of relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis (MS) in patients who have experienced a first clinical episode and have MRI features consistent with MS.
Pre-medicate with analgesics and/or antipyretics on treatment days to ameliorate flu-like symptoms. May be administered by syringe and needle or Betaconnect autoinjector. ≥18yrs: initially 0.0625mg (0.25mL) SC every other day; increase by 25% every 2 weeks to target dose of 0.25mg (1mL) SC every other day.
<18yrs: not established.
Monitor for signs/symptoms of hepatic injury; consider discontinuing if elevated transaminase levels or jaundice occurs. Depression. Suicidal ideation. Pre-existing CHF: monitor for worsening cardiac function at initiation and during treatment. Risk of thrombotic microangiopathy, drug-induced lupus erythematosus; discontinue if occurs. Myelosuppression. Monitor CBCs, differential, platelets, blood chemistries; liver function (at 1, 3, and 6 months then periodically). Pregnancy (Cat.C; may be abortifacient). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Risk of hepatic injury with concomitant hepatotoxic drugs or alcohol.
Inj site reactions, lymphopenia, flu-like symptoms, myalgia, leukopenia, neutropenia, increased liver enzymes, headache, hypertonia, pain, rash, insomnia, abdominal pain, asthenia; inj site necrosis (suspend therapy if multiple lesions occur); rare: hepatic injury, anaphylaxis, possible seizures.
Single-use vials (w. prefilled diluent syringe, supplies)—5, 14
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling