Generic Name and Formulations:
Benztropine mesylate 0.5mg, 1mg, 2mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Benztropine:
Adjunct in Parkinsonism, drug-induced extrapyramidal disorders.
Parkinsonism: initially 0.5–1mg at bedtime. May increase by 0.5mg at 5–6 day intervals; max 6mg daily. Extrapyramidal disorders: 1–4mg 1–2 times daily. Acute dystonic reactions: 1–2mg IM or IV.
See Contraindications. Use cautiously in older children.
Children <3yrs old.
Tardive dyskinesia: not recommended. Narrow-angle glaucoma. Tachycardia. Psychosis. Prostatic hypertrophy. GI or GU obstruction. Chronically ill. Alcoholics. CNS disease. Exposure to extreme heat. Elderly. Pregnancy.
Paralytic ileus, hyperthermia, heat stroke with phenothiazines, tricyclic antidepressants. Antagonizes psychotropics.
Anticholinergic and antihistaminic effects, weakness, confusion, anhidrosis, excitement, GI upset, depression, lethargy, heat stroke, dysuria, toxic psychosis, rash.
Tabs formerly known under the brand name Cogentin.
Tabs—contact supplier; Amps—(5 x 2mL)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders