Belladonna and Opium Suppositories CII
Generic Name and Formulations:
Belladonna extract (powdered), opium (powdered); 16.2mg/30mg, 16.2mg/60mg.
Indications for Belladonna and Opium Suppositories:
Moderate to severe pain associated with ureteral spasms.
1 supp rectally once or twice daily; max 4 doses/day.
Glaucoma. Severe hepatic or renal disease. Asthma. Narcotic idiosyncrasies. Respiratory depression. Convulsive disorders. Acute alcoholism. Delirium tremens. Premature labor.
Idiosyncrasies to atropine and related drugs. Cardiac disease. Incipient glaucoma. GI or GU obstruction. Increased intracranial pressure. Toxic psychosis. Myxedema. Drug abusers. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Antispasmodic + opioid.
CNS effects potentiated with alcohol, other CNS depressants, MAOIs, tricyclic antidepressants, anticholinergics. Potentiated by anticholinergics.
Drowsiness, anticholinergic effects (eg, dry mouth, urinary retention, dizziness, blurred vision, constipation), photophobia, tachycardia, GI upset, pruritus, urticaria.
Formerly known under the brand name B&O Supprettes 15A, B&O Supprettes 16A.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Short Forms of Parent General Behavior Inventory Reliable at Identifying Youth Mood Symptoms
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents
- Strong Social Networks May Mitigate the Effects of Childhood Adversity
- Unexpected Effect of Substance Use Disorders on Recovery From Bipolar Depression
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Opioid Use Disorder Prevalence at Delivery on the Rise in the US, According to CDC
- Integrating Treatments for Opioid Use Disorder and Infectious Diseases