Belladonna and Opium Suppositories CII
Generic Name and Formulations:
Belladonna extract (powdered), opium (powdered); 16.2mg/30mg, 16.2mg/60mg.
Indications for Belladonna and Opium Suppositories:
Moderate to severe pain associated with ureteral spasms.
1 supp rectally once or twice daily; max 4 doses/day.
Glaucoma. Severe hepatic or renal disease. Asthma. Narcotic idiosyncrasies. Respiratory depression. Convulsive disorders. Acute alcoholism. Delirium tremens. Premature labor.
Idiosyncrasies to atropine and related drugs. Cardiac disease. Incipient glaucoma. GI or GU obstruction. Increased intracranial pressure. Toxic psychosis. Myxedema. Drug abusers. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
CNS effects potentiated with alcohol, other CNS depressants, MAOIs, tricyclic antidepressants, anticholinergics. Potentiated by anticholinergics.
Antispasmodic + opioid.
Drowsiness, anticholinergic effects (eg, dry mouth, urinary retention, dizziness, blurred vision, constipation), photophobia, tachycardia, GI upset, pruritus, urticaria.
Formerly known under the brand name B&O Supprettes 15A, B&O Supprettes 16A.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders