Generic Name and Formulations:
Delafloxacin 450mg; tabs.
Indications for BAXDELA:
Susceptible acute bacterial skin and skin structure infections (ABSSSI).
≥18yrs: 450mg every 12hrs for 5–14 days. ESRD (eGFR <15mL/min/1.73m2) or hemodialysis: not recommended (insufficient data). See full labeling.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Increased risk of disabling and potentially irreversible adverse reactions (including tendinitis/tendon rupture [esp. in patients >60yrs, or those with kidney, heart or lung transplants], peripheral neuropathy, or CNS effects); discontinue immediately if signs/symptoms occur. History of tendon disorders, peripheral neuropathy, or myasthenia gravis: avoid. CNS disorders (eg, cerebral arteriosclerosis, epilepsy) that increase seizure risk. Discontinue at 1st sign of skin rash, or any other hypersensitivity. Severe renal impairment receiving IV form: monitor serum creatinine levels, eGFR closely; consider switching to oral form if serum creatinine level increases. Discontinue if eGFR falls <15mL/min/1.73m2. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Separate dosing of oral form with magnesium- or aluminum-containing antacids, sucralfate, metal cations, multivitamins containing zinc or iron, or didanosine (buffered forms) by at least 2hrs before or 6hrs after these agents. Increased risk of tendinitis/tendon rupture with corticosteroids. For IV: avoid concomitant solution containing multivalent cations (eg, calcium, magnesium) through same IV line.
Nausea, diarrhea, headache, transaminase elevations, vomiting, other CNS, cardiac, GI, metabolic, musculoskeletal, injection reactions (see full labeling); tendinitis/tendon rupture, peripheral neuropathy, hypersensitivity reactions, C. difficile-associated diarrhea.
Tabs—20; Blister packs—20 (2x10 tabs); Single-dose vials—10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling