Generic Name and Formulations:
Aztreonam 1g, 2g; for IM or IV inj after reconstitution; sodium-free.
Indications for AZACTAM:
Susceptible bacterial infections, including septicemia, lower respiratory tract, complicated or uncomplicated urinary tract, skin and skin structure, gynecologic, intraabdominal. Surgical adjunct.
UTI: 500mg–1g every 8–12hrs. Other systemic infections: moderately severe: 1–2g every 8–12hrs; severe: 2g every 6–8hrs. All: max 8g/day. Max 1g/dose by IM. Renal impairment (CrCl 10–30mL/min): ½ of dose after loading dose; CrCl <10mL/min: see full labeling.
<9mos: not established. Not for septicemia or certain skin and skin structure infections; see full labeling. 9mos–16yrs (normal renal function only): urinary tract, lower respiratory tract, intraabdominal, gynecologic infections: mild-to-moderate: 30mg/kg IV every 8hrs; moderate-to-severe: 30mg/kg IV every 6–8hrs; max 120mg/kg/day. May need higher dose in patients with cystic fibrosis.
Penicillin, cephalosporin, carbapenem, or other allergy. Renal or hepatic impairment; monitor during therapy. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers; consider temporary formula feedings.
May potentiate nephrotoxicity of concomitant aminoglycosides (esp. at high doses or prolonged use); monitor renal function. Avoid concomitant β-lactamase-inducing drugs (eg, cefoxitin, imipenem).
Local reactions (eg, phlebitis, discomfort), GI upset, rash, anaphylaxis, blood dyscrasias, elevated liver enzymes or serum creatinine; C. difficile-associated diarrhea, superinfection; rare: toxic epidermal necrolysis.
Single-dose vials (15mL)—10; GALAXY containers (50mL)—24
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Short Forms of Parent General Behavior Inventory Reliable at Identifying Youth Mood Symptoms
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents
- Strong Social Networks May Mitigate the Effects of Childhood Adversity
- Unexpected Effect of Substance Use Disorders on Recovery From Bipolar Depression
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Opioid Use Disorder Prevalence at Delivery on the Rise in the US, According to CDC
- Integrating Treatments for Opioid Use Disorder and Infectious Diseases