Generic Name and Formulations:
Interferon beta-1a 30mcg per prefilled syringe (albumin-free liq) or per vial [pwd for reconstitution (preservative-free, contains albumin)]; or per prefilled autoinjector (albumin-free liq); for IM inj.
Indications for AVONEX:
Treatment of relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis to slow the accumulation of physical disability and decrease the frequency of clinical exacerbations in patients with first clinical episode and MRI consistent with MS.
Pre-medicate with analgesics and/or antipyretics on treatment days to ameliorate flu-like symptoms. Rotate inj sites. ≥18yrs: 30mcg IM once weekly. May titrate dose to reduce severity of flu-like symptoms; dosed once weekly, IM: Week 1: 7.5mcg. Week 2: 15mcg. Week 3: 22.5mcg. Week 4: 30mcg.
<18yrs: not established.
Monitor for signs/symptoms of hepatic injury. Depression. Suicidal ideation. Seizure disorders. Pre-existing CHF: monitor for worsening cardiac function at initiation and during treatment. Risk of thrombotic microangiopathy; discontinue if occurs. Myelosuppression. Monitor CBCs, differential, platelets, blood chemistries, liver and thyroid function. Consider discontinuing if new autoimmune disorder develops. Pregnancy (Cat.C; may be abortifacient). Nursing mothers.
Risk of hepatic injury with concomitant hepatotoxic drugs or alcohol.
Flu-like symptoms, asthenia, headache, myalgia, fever, chills, GI upset, depression, blood dyscrasias, seizures; rare: hepatic injury, anaphylaxis (discontinue if occurs).
Register pregnant patients exposed to Avonex by calling (800) 456-2255.
Single-use prefilled syringes (0.5mL) dose pack—1 (4 syringes, supplies); Single-use vial dose pack—1 (4 vials, diluent, supplies); Single-use prefilled autoinjector (0.5mL) dose pack—1 (4 autoinjectors, supplies)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation