Autism was associated with changes in the plasma protein content of certain advanced glycation end products and oxidation adducts.
A reduced risk for autism spectrum disorder in offspring was associated with maternal use of folic acid and mutlivitamin supplements.
Multiple treatment failure in children with first-episode psychosis was more common among patients with comorbid autism spectrum disorders.
Family members of ALS patients have higher rates of neuropsychiatric conditions.
In children with congenital hypothyroidism behavioral problems can be mitigated through appropriate levels of treatment during infancy.
In children with autism, improvisational music therapy showed no significant difference in symptom outcome.
Autism risk is correlated with exposure to certain toxins and nutrients during late pregnancy.
New art therapy guidelines have been developed for children with autism spectrum disorder.
Antidepressants were more strongly associated with cases of autism that didn't include intellectual disability.
A treatment protocol that alters the gut microbiome and virome might also alleviate behavioral symptoms of ASD.
Investigators examined functional connectivity between the amygdala and the mPFC, bilateral temporal lobe, striatum, thalamus, cingulate cortex, and cerebellum in children diagnosed with autism and age-matched control participants.
While past studies have shown that younger siblings with an affected older sibling are at higher risk of autism, these findings have not been evaluated in a large, racially and ethnically diverse population.
The longer autism spectrum disorder insurance mandates remained in place, the more that mandate-associated treated prevalence increased.
In vitro assays hold promise as diagnostic tools in complex neurodevelopmental disorders such as autism.
The results indicate a 10-fold increased risk of future autism in patients diagnosed with epilepsy.
Ann Neumayer, MD, suggests that giving too many supplements can be harmful as well as giving too few.
The immune system dysregulation during pregnancy may lead to or exacerbate neurodevelopmental conditions such as autism.
New technologies and methodological approaches are starting to elucidate the relationship between DNA and complex human behavior.
Children with an autism spectrum disorder often have a different sensory profile than those without, and they may wander because of an overreaction to sensory stimulation such as noises or smells.
Objective measures of autism symptom severity are necessary to accurately diagnose autism and measure the effectiveness of treatment interventions.
Special education resources appear to play a significant role in early diagnosis of ASD.
Those taking atypical antipsychotics also showed a higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
Previous studies finding a link between antidepressants and autism may have actually been finding a link between autism and maternal depression itself.
Researchers find that anterior cingulate cortex part of the brain is responsible for decision making on whether to cooperate with another person.
Autism patients with a genetic disorder given insulin-like growth factor-1 saw improvements in social behavior.
Having any kind of pet in the home can help children with autism develop social skills.
Peer-led interventions can significantly reduce anxiety, depression and stress in parents of children with disabilities.
Move combines disparate programs into Autism Care Demosntration Project for children of military personell, begiing at the end of the month.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed