autism spectrum disorders
Greater depth of ultrasonography may be more likely to alter subependymal or germinal matrix cell migration rather than the more superficial cerebral cortical cells of the developing brain.
Cognitive enhancement therapy seems to be beneficial in neurocognitive function for adults with autism spectrum disorder.
These findings may prove valuable in counseling families about the likelihood of disease recurrence in subsequent offspring.
Psychiatrists should think beyond traditional models of therapy when looking to engage patients with ASD.
Dixdc1 knockout mice demonstrated behaviors suggestive of depression, anxiety, and impaired social behavior.
Investigators examined functional connectivity between the amygdala and the mPFC, bilateral temporal lobe, striatum, thalamus, cingulate cortex, and cerebellum in children diagnosed with autism and age-matched control participants.
While past studies have shown that younger siblings with an affected older sibling are at higher risk of autism, these findings have not been evaluated in a large, racially and ethnically diverse population.
These results are contrary to results from a prior large population study.
The longer autism spectrum disorder insurance mandates remained in place, the more that mandate-associated treated prevalence increased.
In vitro assays hold promise as diagnostic tools in complex neurodevelopmental disorders such as autism.
The results indicate a 10-fold increased risk of future autism in patients diagnosed with epilepsy.
Ann Neumayer, MD, suggests that giving too many supplements can be harmful as well as giving too few.
The immune system dysregulation during pregnancy may lead to or exacerbate neurodevelopmental conditions such as autism.
Children with an autism spectrum disorder often have a different sensory profile than those without, and they may wander because of an overreaction to sensory stimulation such as noises or smells.
The research represents the first general population study of assortative mating in psychiatric disorders.
The combination of maternal obesity and diabetes was associated with a greater risk of autism in children than either obesity or diabetes alone.
The "social" part of the brain is underdeveloped in children with autism.
No infant monkeys given vaccines with or without thimerosal developed symptoms of autism.
Children saw improvements in response speed, working memory and motor ability after playing Makoto arena over 30 sessions.
Girls tended to have less-severe repetitive and restricted behaviors.
Although people with a high number of autistic traits may have fewer creative ideas, the ones they come up with are more unique.
Young adults who completed 16 weeks of the PEERS program also saw improvement in empathy and responsibility.
Autism spectrum disorder often overlaps with other similar developmental disorders.
Researchers find that unlike typically developing children, most kids with autism fail to adjust their sniffing to stinky odors.
Apraxia, which is characterized by difficulty in coordinating the tongue, lips and mouth to make speech, appears to be common in autism.
Autistic-bred mice fed diets with a low glycemic index (fruits, vegetables and whole grains) saw a reduction in autistic behaviors.
Twenty male children are to be enrolled in a phase 1 trial that will test the effectiveness of antimicrobial drug suramin in treating autism.
An intensive, one-on-one therapy that can begin as soon as a toddler is 18 months old shows more improvement in autism symptoms that standard treatment.
Children also more likely to develop autism if they are born to teen moms, older parents, and if parents have large age gap between them
Lower-functioning children with autism had higher levels of the stress hormone cortisol than higher-functioning peers with the disorder.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed