Autism Spectrum Disorder
Autism was associated with changes in the plasma protein content of certain advanced glycation end products and oxidation adducts.
A reduced risk for autism spectrum disorder in offspring was associated with maternal use of folic acid and mutlivitamin supplements.
Relationship Between Neuroanatomic Abnormalities and Behavioral, Cognitive Impairment in Individuals At Risk for ASDJanuary 18, 2018
In groups that are at high risk for autism spectrum disorder, neuroanatomic abnormalities are common.
There was a 2.41% prevalence of autism spectrum disorder among US children and adolescents in 2014-2016.
Multivitamin supplementation during pregnancy is tied to a reduced risk of autism spectrum disorder with intellectual disability.
Children who are diagnosed on the autism spectrum are protected by their parents and community and are not properly actualized.
Recent changes in our understanding of autism are driving advances in diagnosis, evidence-based treatment, and ultimately patient outcomes.
Children with ASD do not benefit from the use of nutritional supplements or dietary therapies for children with ASD, according to researchers.
Risks of ASD are strongly associated with antidepressant use before conception and may be linked to psychiatric disorders in the mother.
Infants at risk for autism do better if therapists train parents to communicate more effectively.
Children with celiac disease are at a 1.4-fold increased risk for psychiatric disorders.
Autism in children does not appear to be caused by antidepressant medication taken during pregnancy.
A study of Romanian adoptees demonstrates that early childhood mistreatment can have a lasting psychological effect into adulthood.
The most significant obstacle to effective treatment of autism spectrum disorder is the challenge of early detection.
Patients with pre-transplant depression represent a population that is at risk for post-transplant complications.
Exercise shows promise for improving self-regulation and classroom functioning among children with complex behavioral health disorders.
For the first time, investigators studied the link between maternal flu vaccination during pregnancy and increased risk of ASD.
Study results suggest continued study of arbaclofen for autism spectrum disorder.
Autism is a heritable neurodevelopmental disorder that is approximately 4 times more prevalent in males than females.
Investigators examined functional connectivity between the amygdala and the mPFC, bilateral temporal lobe, striatum, thalamus, cingulate cortex, and cerebellum in children diagnosed with autism and age-matched control participants.
While past studies have shown that younger siblings with an affected older sibling are at higher risk of autism, these findings have not been evaluated in a large, racially and ethnically diverse population.
Researchers identified an inner-ear problem that might impair speech processing.
These results are contrary to results from a prior large population study.
The longer autism spectrum disorder insurance mandates remained in place, the more that mandate-associated treated prevalence increased.
In vitro assays hold promise as diagnostic tools in complex neurodevelopmental disorders such as autism.
The results indicate a 10-fold increased risk of future autism in patients diagnosed with epilepsy.
Ann Neumayer, MD, suggests that giving too many supplements can be harmful as well as giving too few.
The immune system dysregulation during pregnancy may lead to or exacerbate neurodevelopmental conditions such as autism.
New technologies and methodological approaches are starting to elucidate the relationship between DNA and complex human behavior.
Women who took vitamin B and folate supplements during pregnancy were less likely to have a child with autism.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders