ASMANEX HFA Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Mometasone furoate 100mcg, 200mcg; per actuation; metered-dose inhaler with dose counter.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for ASMANEX HFA:
Maintenance treatment of asthma as prophylactic therapy.
Limitations Of use:
Not for relief of acute bronchospasm.
Previously on inhaled medium-dose corticosteroids: use 100mcg strength. Previously on inhaled high-dose or oral corticosteroids (wean gradually): use 200mcg strength. For both: Two inhalations twice daily (AM & PM). Rinse mouth after use.
Primary treatment of status asthmaticus or acute asthma attacks.
Maintain regular regimen. Prescribe a short-acting, inhaled β2-agonist for acute symptoms; monitor for increased need. Re-evaluate immediately during rapidly deteriorating asthma; may need oral corticosteroid therapy. Immunosuppressed. Untreated infections (eg, fungal, bacterial, viral, parasitic), TB, ocular herpes simplex. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider anti-infective prophylactic therapy. Transferring from systemic steroids: taper gradually. If adrenal insufficiency exists following systemic corticosteroids, replacement with inhaled steroids may exacerbate symptoms of adrenal insufficiency (eg, lassitude). Monitor for increased intraocular pressure, glaucoma, and/or cataracts; bone mineral density if other osteoporosis risk factors exist; and for growth suppression in children; hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occurs, discontinue gradually). Severe hepatic impairment. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by ketoconazole or other strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ritonavir, atazanavir, clarithromycin, indinavir, itraconazole, nefazodone, nelfinavir, saquinavir, telithromycin); use caution.
Nasopharyngitis, headache, sinusitis, bronchitis, influenza; hypersensitivity reactions, paradoxical bronchospasm; discontinue if occurs.
Inhaler—13g (120 inh)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Genetic Variations Associated With Empathy Affect Psychiatric Conditions
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed