ASACOL HD Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Mesalamine 800mg; delayed release tabs.
Indications for ASACOL HD:
Moderately active ulcerative colitis.
Swallow whole; do not crush or chew. Treatment: 1600mg 3 times daily for 6 weeks.
History of renal disease; monitor renal function before and during therapy. Pyloric stenosis. Pre-existing liver disease. Reevaluate periodically. Elderly (monitor CBCs). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Headache, GI upset or pain, constipation, eructation, nasopharyngitis, exacerbation of colitis symptoms (discontinue if occurs), dizziness, asthenia; renal impairment (eg, interstitial nephritis, minimal change nephropathy, renal failure [rare]).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Suicide Risk After Self-Harm Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Safety, Efficacy of Deep Brain Stimulation for Alzheimer Disease Examined
- Many Teens Who Use Tobacco Don't Self-Identify as Users