Generic Name and Formulations:
Exemestane 25mg; tabs.
Indications for AROMASIN:
In postmenopausal women: adjuvant treatment of estrogen-receptor positive early breast cancer after 2–3yrs of tamoxifen therapy to complete a total of 5yrs of hormonal therapy; advanced breast cancer with disease progression after tamoxifen therapy.
Give after a meal. 25mg once daily. Concomitant strong CYP3A4 inducers (see Interactions): 50mg once daily.
Not for treatment in premenopausal women. Osteoporosis; assess bone mineral density (BMD) at start of treatment. Monitor all patients for BMD loss and treat as appropriate. Perform routine assessment of Vit. D levels prior to initiation; supplement if deficient. Hepatic or renal impairment. Embryo-fetal toxicity. Pregnancy. Females of reproductive potential: should undergo pregnancy testing within 7 days prior to initiation; use effective contraception during and for 1 month after final dose. Nursing mothers: not recommended (during and for 1 month after final dose).
Antagonized by strong CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampicin, phenytoin, carbamazepine, phenobarbital, St. John’s wort).
Hot flashes, fatigue, arthralgia, headache, insomnia, increased sweating, nausea, increased appetite; reductions in BMD.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation