Generic Name and Formulations:
Donepezil HCl 5mg, 10mg, 23mg; tabs.
Indications for ARICEPT:
Tabs: Swallow whole with water. ODT: dissolve on tongue, follow with water. Mild-to-moderate: Initially 5mg daily at bedtime, may increase to max 10mg daily after 4–6 weeks; usual dose: 5mg or 10mg once daily. Moderate-to-severe: initially 5mg daily at bedtime, may increase to 10mg daily after 4–6 weeks; may further increase to max 23mg daily after 3 months; usual dose: 10mg or 23mg once daily.
Cardiac conduction conditions. Peptic ulcer. Monitor for GI bleeding. Seizures. Asthma or COPD. GU obstruction. Body weight <55kg. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Reversible acetylcholinesterase inhibitor (piperidine deriv).
Drugs that affect CYP2D6 and CYP3A4 may affect rate of elimination. Antagonizes anticholinergics. May potentiate succinylcholine-type muscle relaxants, other cholinesterase inhibitors, cholinergic agonists (eg, bethanecol). Concomitant NSAIDs may increase risk of GI bleed.
Nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, insomnia, muscle cramps, fatigue, anorexia, weight loss (esp. using 23mg/day dose).
Tabs 5mg, 10mg—30, 90, 1000; 23mg—30, 90; ODT—30
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation