APTENSIO XR CII
Generic Name and Formulations:
Methylphenidate HCl 10mg, 15mg, 20mg, 30mg, 40mg, 50mg, 60mg; ext-rel caps.
Indications for APTENSIO XR:
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
Adults and Children:
Individualize. Swallow whole or may open capsule and sprinkle contents onto applesauce. <6yrs: not established. ≥6yrs: 10mg once daily in the AM. May titrate dose in weekly increments of 10mg/day. Max 60mg/day. Discontinue if no improvement after dose adjustment over a 1-month period.
During or within 14 days of MAOIs.
Abuse potential (monitor). Increased risk of sudden death, stroke, and MI; assess for presence of cardiac disease before initiating. Avoid in known structural cardiac abnormalities, cardiomyopathy, serious arrhythmias, coronary artery disease, and other cardiac problems. Pre-existing psychotic disorder. Bipolar disorder. Screen for risk factors in developing manic episode prior to initiating. Consider discontinuing if new psychotic/manic symptoms occur. Peripheral vasculopathy including Raynaud's phenomenon; monitor for digital changes. Monitor growth (esp. children), BP, HR. Reduce dose or discontinue if paradoxical worsening of symptoms occurs. Write ℞ for smallest practical amount. Reevaluate periodically. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: monitor infants.
See Contraindications. Hypertensive crisis with concomitant MAOIs. Risk of serotonin syndrome with serotonergic drugs.
Abdominal pain, decreased appetite, headache, insomnia; hypertension, tachycardia, priapism.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders