Generic Name and Formulations:
Fomepizole 1g/mL; soln for IV infusion after dilution; preservative-free.
Jazz Pharmaceuticals plc
Indications for ANTIZOL:
Ethylene glycol or methanol poisoning; or suspected ethylene glycol or methanol ingestion, either alone or in combination with hemodialysis.
Give by slow IV infusion over 30mins. Loading dose of 15mg/kg, followed by 10mg/kg every 12hrs for 4 doses, then 15mg/kg every 12hrs until ethylene glycol or methanol concentration is <20mg/dL and patient is asymptomatic with normal pH. Hemodialysis: see literature.
Allergy to pyrazoles.
Renal or hepatic impairment. Renal failure, significant or worsening metabolic acidosis, or high ethylene glycol or methanol concentrations (≥50mg/dL); consider hemodialysis in addition to fomepizole. Obtain blood gases, pH, electrolytes, liver enzymes, BUN, creatinine, urinalysis, ECG, WBCs frequently during therapy. Monitor serum and urine ethylene glycol concentrations and presence of urinary oxalate crystals; or serum methanol concentrations. Monitor for allergic reactions. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Potentiates or potentiated by ethanol. May affect or be affected by CYP450 inducers/inhibitors (eg, phenytoin, carbamazepine, cimetidine, ketoconazole).
Alcohol dehydrogenase inhibitor.
Headache, nausea, dizziness, drowsiness, bad taste/metallic taste; rare: mild rash, eosinophilia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Suicide Risk After Self-Harm Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Safety, Efficacy of Deep Brain Stimulation for Alzheimer's
- Many Teens Who Use Tobacco Don't Self-Identify as Users
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations