Adolescents who develop anorexia nervosa before the age of 14 have a higher risk of unfavorable outcomes.
As there are no currently approved medical therapies for the treatment of anorexia, further study is necessary to determine the long-term efficacy and safety of a ghrelin agonist.
Females who suffer from anorexia nervosahave lower gut microbial diversity.
For adolescents with anorexia nervosa, telehealth-enabled FBT is effective.
Long-term negative consequences can be associated with anorexia nervosa, and many times patients do not experience remission.
DBS is associated with significant improvements in treatment-refractory anorexia nervosa.
Eating disorders are not confined to adolescence and early adulthood.
Continued symptom improvement and meaningful recovery are possible in anorexia nervosa beyond the first decade of follow-up.
It's the deadliest mental illness. What's being done about it?
Exercise time per day is associated with a higher Eating Disorder Examination (EDE) global score in adults with anorexia.
FDA approval was based on a single clinical trial involving 111 patients, which was funded by the device manufacturer.
Those with eating disorders had higher scores in scales measuring alcohol dependence, alcohol-related problems, and intoxication.
Researchers found that the depression treatment rTMS cut the urges to restrict food in anorexia.
Individuals with anorexia nervosa mainly died from natural causes of the eating disorder.
Mental health conditions, like binge eating disorder and depression, are common among patients undergoing bariatric surgery.
Those who were bullied were almost twice as likely to have symptoms of bulimia compared to those who weren't bullied.
People who suffer from anorexia nervosa use a brain region associated with habitual behavior in making decisions about what to eat.
Elevated aspartate aminotransferase and alanine aminotransferase levels are also linked to lower body mass index.
Significant declines in weight and shape concerns, and dietary restraints were seen in female students after receiving mindfulness training.
Although not officially recognized by the APA, cases of orthorexia are on the rise.
Psychotherapy is useful in treating bulimia and binge eating, while anorexia remains the most difficult eating disorder to tackle.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed