Ampicillin sodium Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Ampicillin sodium 125mg, 250mg, 500mg, 1g, 2g, 10g; per vial; pwd for IV or IM inj after reconstitution and dilution.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Ampicillin sodium Injection:
Adults and Children:
Give IV inj slowly over at least 10–15 minutes; rapid IV administration may result in convulsive seizures. Respiratory tract and soft tissue infections: <40kg: 25–50mg/kg per day in equally divided doses every 6–8 hours. ≥40kg: 250–500mg every 6 hours. GI or GU tract infections (including N. gonorrhoeae in women): <40kg: 50mg/kg per day in equally divided doses every 6–8 hours. ≥40kg: 500mg every 6 hours. Urethritis in males due to N. gonorrhoeae: two doses of 500mg each at interval of 8–12 hours. Meningitis: Initiate with IV drip, then continue IM. 150–200mg/kg per day in equally divided doses every 3–4 hours. Septicimia: Initiate IV for at least 3 days, then continue IM every 3–4 hours. 150–200mg/kg per day; treat for at least 10 days if caused by Group A β-hemolytic streptococci.
Cephalosporin, imipenem, other allergy or mononucleosis: not recommended. Monitor blood, renal, and liver function in long-term use. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May cause false (+) glucose test with Clinitest, Benedict's or Fehling's soln. Potentiated by probenecid. May increase risk of rash with allopurinol.
Anaphylaxis, urticaria, GI upset, blood dyscrasias.
Formerly known under the brand names Principen, Totacillin, Pfizerpen-A, Penbritin, Omnipen, Amcill (caps, susp); Polycillin-N, Totacillin-N, Penbritin-S, Omnipen-N (inj).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation