Amoxicillin Tabs for Oral Suspension Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Amoxicillin (as trihydrate) 200mg, 400mg, 600mg; tabs for oral susp; strawberry-flavor; contains phenylalanine.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Amoxicillin Tabs for Oral Suspension:
Susceptible infections including ear/nose/throat (ENT), lower respiratory tract, skin and skin structure, genitourinary tract, acute uncomplicated gonorrhea.
Use other forms.
Do not chew or swallow tablets; mix with 2 teaspoonsful of water and drink entire mixture immediately. Do not subdivide doses (use 200mg tab only for a 200mg dose, and 400mg tab only for a 400mg dose, and 600mg tab only for a 600mg dose). Neonates and infants ≤3months: max 30mg/kg per day in divided doses every 12hrs. >3months: Mild to moderate ENT, skin, or genitourinary: 25mg/kg per day in divided doses every 12hrs or, 20mg/kg per day in divided doses every 8hrs. Lower respiratory or severe ENT, skin, or genitourinary: 45mg/kg per day in divided doses every 12hrs or, 40mg/kg per day in divided doses every 8hrs. Gonorrhea: ≤2yrs: not recommended; >2yrs: 50mg/kg with 25mg/kg probenecid once. >40kg: use other forms. Renal dysfunction (CrCl <30mL/min): <12yrs: not recommended; ≥12yrs: reduce dose, see literature.
Cephalosporin, imipenem, or other allergy: not recommended. Monitor blood, renal, and hepatic function in long-term use. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May cause false (+) glucose test with Clinitest, Benedict's or Fehling's soln. Serum levels increased by probenecid.
GI upset, hypersensitivity reactions (eg, urticaria, rash, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, anaphylaxis), hyperactivity, blood dyscrasias.
Formerly known under the brand name Dispermox.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad