Amoxicillin Tablets Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Amoxicillin (as trihydrate) 500mg, 875mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Amoxicillin Tablets:
Susceptible infections including ear/nose/throat (ENT), genitourinary tract, skin and skin structures, lower respiratory, acute uncomplicated gonorrhea.
>40kg: ENT: mild/moderate: 500mg every 12hrs; severe: 875mg every 12hrs. Lower respiratory tract: 875mg every 12hrs. Skin/skin structure: mild/moderate: 500mg every 12hrs; severe: 875mg every 12hrs. Genitourinary tract: mild/moderate: 500mg every 12hrs; severe: 875mg every 12hrs. Gonorrhea, acute uncomplicated ano-genital and urethral infections: 3g as single oral dose.
≤3 months: max 30mg/kg per day in 2 divided doses every 12hrs. >3 months (<40kg): ENT, genitourinary, skin: 25mg/kg/day in divided doses every 12hrs. Severe infections, or lower respiratory infections: 45mg/kg/day in divided doses every 12hrs. Gonorrhea: <2yrs: not recommended; prepubertal: amoxicillin 50mg/kg + probenecid 25mg/kg as a single dose.
Cephalosporin, imipenem or other allergy: not recommended. Monitor blood, renal, and hepatic function in long-term use. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May cause false (+) glucose test with Clinitest, Benedict's or Fehling's soln. Serum levels increased by probenecid.
GI upset, hypersensitivity reactions (eg, urticaria, rash, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, anaphylaxis), hyperactivity, blood dyscrasias.
Formerly known under the brand names Amoxil, Trimox, Ultimox, Wymox (caps, susp), Polymox (susp).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation