Amantadine HCl Tablets Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Amantadine HCl 100mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Amantadine HCl Tablets:
Parkinsonism. Drug-induced extrapyramidal reactions.
Parkinsonism monotherapy: initially 100mg twice daily, may increase after 1–2 weeks by 100mg daily. Serious associated illness or high doses of other antiparkinson drugs: 100mg once daily, may increase after 1 to several weeks to 100mg twice daily; max 400mg/day in divided doses. Extrapyramidal disorders: 100mg twice daily; max 300mg/day in divided doses. Renal dysfunction: reduce dose; see literature.
Adjust dose gradually. History of seizures. Heart failure. Orthostatic hypotension. Peripheral edema. Renal (CrCl <50mL/min) or hepatic dysfunction. Psychiatric disorders. Suicidal ideation. History of recurrent eczematoid rash. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with CNS stimulants. Thioridazine may worsen tremor in elderly patients with parkinsonism.
Neuroleptic malignant syndrome (when drug is withdrawn or dose is reduced), nausea, dizziness, insomnia, heart failure, anxiety, irritability, hallucinations, confusion, anorexia, anticholinergic effects, constipation, ataxia, livedo reticularis, peripheral edema, orthostatic hypotension, headache, somnolence, dream abnormality, diarrhea, fatigue.
Formerly known under the brand name Symmetrel.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis