Patients with a phonemic advantage at baseline should be followed more closely with a higher index of suspicion for progression to Alzheimer disease.
More research is needed to assess the effect of modifying sleep on the brain.
Dementia may not be preventable by weight loss interventions focused on increased physical activity and portion control.
More than 81% of participants reported adverse events, but rates were similar between groups.
Having heart disease risks in middle age may increase the risk for developing dementia later in life.
As stroke is often detrimental for individuals with AD, these results warrant caution in BZDR use in this vulnerable population.
The reduction in risk of Alzheimer disease was varied across sex, race, ethnicity, and type of statin used.
Better management of cardiovascular risk factors and higher levels of education may have contributed to this improvement.
Someone whose hippocampus stayed the same size was nearly 6 times more likely to develop Lewy body dementia.
In 2016, an estimated 5.4 million US adults have Alzheimer disease.
Sundowning is a complex multifactorial condition that has eluded rigorous understanding of its pathophysiological causes.
Basic Research Findings for the Practicing Clinician
Those with lower BMI showed higher levels of beta-amyloid, closely tied to the onset of Alzheimer's disease.
The findings suggest that interactions between beta-amyloid and tau lead to neurodegeneration in Alzheimer's.
Cases of all-cause dementia and Alzheimer's did not significantly differ between study groups, but vascular care is safe and may reduce incidence of non-Alzheimer's dementia.
The effects of aggregate genetic AD risk are detectable before symptoms appear, even early in life.
Distinguishing between psychiatric disorders and AD is crucial because of the differing prognosis and management of the two.
If transmission of neurodegenerative diseases such as dementia of any type, AD, or PD does occur, it is rare.
Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the main active chemical ingredient found in cannabis and is a potent cannabinoid receptor (CB)-1 agonist.
Modifiable risk factors (eg, smoking, hypertension, sedentary behavior, overweight/obesity, and social engagement) contribute to nearly half of documented dementia cases.
Cognitive test scores are negatively correlated with blood-brain barrier disruption in patients with early AD.
Although inconclusive, late-onset Alzheimer's Disease could be triggered by infectious pathogens.
Researchers identified increased fibrinogen levels and amyloid-β deposits in the blood vessels and brain parenchyma of patients with Alzheimer's disease.
The case suggests that some patients with HIV and dementia may be misdiagnosed with HIV-associated brain disorders.
Administration time for cognitive assessment screenings is currently suboptimal in many clinical settings.
Researchers identified 8 categories of sensory stimulation interventions that significantly influenced dementia.
White matter hyperintensity volume differences were seen 6 years before Alzheimer's symptoms.
Researchers found an elevated risk of dementia after adjustment for age, sex, and comorbidities.
Declines in processing sleep and episodic memory were observed in those with low levels of activity.
While scientists have long known that tau is involved in dementia, the way in which it hinders cognitive function has remained uncertain.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Family History of Psychiatric Disorders an Important Predictor of Postpartum Psychiatric Illness
- New APA President Takes Office as the First African-American to Lead the Organization
- Antidepressant Use May Be Linked With Sustained Risk for Weight Gain
- MDMA-Assisted Psychotherapy Effective for Treating PTSD in Veterans, First Responders
- Substance Abuse and Primary Psychosis: A Closer Look
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- Cannabidiol Not Associated With Improvement in Chronic Schizophrenia
- Methadone Maintenance Therapy Associated With Greater Access to Physician Care in HCV-Positive Drug Users
- New Dimensions in Psychopathy: Are There Cultural Differences in Psychopaths?
- Addressing Psychiatric Comorbidities in Inflammatory Rheumatic Diseases
- Exploring the Link Between Persistent Infection, Inflammation, and Mood Disorders
- CDC: No Change in Level of Uninsured in US in 2017
- Benefit of Behavioral Activation During TMS for Major Depressive Disorder