40% of people with dementia are still driving.
The burden of Alzheimer disease and related dementias (ADRD) is expected to increase to 3.3% in the United States by 2060.
These findings have high clinical relevance because patients with apathy are likely to withdraw from care.
Participants with Alzheimer disease have increased levels of 2 strains of human herpesvirus.
Drinking sugary beverages has been previously linked to markers of preclinical Alzheimer disease, but the risk associated with consuming added sugars is not established.
Although treatment with nabilone significantly improved agitation, cognition, and nutrition, the authors cautioned that sedation should be closely monitored.
Results showed that most common NSAIDs, including aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, and celecoxib, did not alter cognitive degeneration in patients with mild cognitive impairment or Alzheimer disease.
Given the lack of differences seen via the NIS, the authors suggested that subjective questionnaires may not be a trustworthy method to assess possible statin-associated cognitive deficits.
The genetically-mediated effects of angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors showed an improvement in cognition in patients with Alzheimer disease dementia but not in functionality.
The analysis suggests a beneficial effect of aducanumab on functional and cognitive domain scores in adults with Alzheimer disease.
Memantine Plus Cholinesterase Inhibitors Improves Psychosis, Neurobehavioral Symptoms in Alzheimer Disease
Investigators pooled data from patients from 3 phase 3, 24-week, randomized, placebo-controlled trials of MEM in patients with Alzheimer disease receiving concurrent ChEIs.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Link Identified Between Cured Meat and Mania in Bipolar Disorder
- Suicide Attempts Associated With Sleep and Circadian Rhythm Disturbances in Bipolar Disorder
- First-Episode Delusional Disorder vs Schizophrenia: Assessment of Outcomes
- Early Risk Factors for Bipolar Disorder Found in Offspring of BD Parents
- Probiotics, Depression, and the Role of Inflammation
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- Independent and Combined Tobacco and Alcohol Use Associated With Suicide Risk
- Manic Episode Inpatient Admissions Appear to Peak During Summer
- Risk Factors for PTSD in Surrogate Decision Makers of Critically Ill Patients
- Designing the Therapeutic Space: Using Layout, Color, and Other Elements to Get Patients in the Right Frame of Mind
- The Striking Effects of Diversity in Health Care: Improving Patient Outcomes