40% of people with dementia are still driving.
These findings have high clinical relevance because patients with apathy are likely to withdraw from care.
Participants with Alzheimer disease have increased levels of 2 strains of human herpesvirus.
Drinking sugary beverages has been previously linked to markers of preclinical Alzheimer disease, but the risk associated with consuming added sugars is not established.
Although treatment with nabilone significantly improved agitation, cognition, and nutrition, the authors cautioned that sedation should be closely monitored.
Results showed that most common NSAIDs, including aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, and celecoxib, did not alter cognitive degeneration in patients with mild cognitive impairment or Alzheimer disease.
Given the lack of differences seen via the NIS, the authors suggested that subjective questionnaires may not be a trustworthy method to assess possible statin-associated cognitive deficits.
The genetically-mediated effects of angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors showed an improvement in cognition in patients with Alzheimer disease dementia but not in functionality.
The analysis suggests a beneficial effect of aducanumab on functional and cognitive domain scores in adults with Alzheimer disease.
Memantine Plus Cholinesterase Inhibitors Improves Psychosis, Neurobehavioral Symptoms in Alzheimer Disease
Investigators pooled data from patients from 3 phase 3, 24-week, randomized, placebo-controlled trials of MEM in patients with Alzheimer disease receiving concurrent ChEIs.
As the neurodegenerative processes of Alzheimer disease and Parkinson disease are different, early cognitive impairment also present differently in these diseases.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Atypical Symptom Presentations in Pediatric OCD
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents
- Strong Social Networks May Mitigate the Effects of Childhood Adversity
- Light Therapy Effective for Older Adults with Nonseasonal Depression
- AMA Adopts Policy on Augmented Intelligence
- Parental Belief in Religion Lowers Child Suicide Risk
- Appetitive Symptoms, Fluoxetine, and Light Therapy: Predicting Treatment Response for Nonseasonal Major Depression
- Bipolar Disorder Patients Benefit From Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality