These data indicate that cortisol levels may contribute to the cognitive decline observed in elderly adults with late-life depression.
Drinking sugary beverages has been previously linked to markers of preclinical Alzheimer disease, but the risk associated with consuming added sugars is not established.
In the previous SPRINT study, researchers compared an intensive BP reduction strategy (target systolic BP <120 mmHg) vs standard BP reduction strategy (target systolic BP <140 mmHg).
Although treatment with nabilone significantly improved agitation, cognition, and nutrition, the authors cautioned that sedation should be closely monitored.
Details of Montreal Cognitive Assessment Widely Publicized After President Donald Trump's EvaluationJuly 26, 2018
Many published news articles included details of the Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MoCA) in association with President Trump, some of which invited readers to self-administer the test.
Participants were drawn from the Health and Retirement Study, which provided multiple observations, genetic information, and previous alcohol use.
Given the lack of differences seen via the NIS, the authors suggested that subjective questionnaires may not be a trustworthy method to assess possible statin-associated cognitive deficits.
Results showed that most common NSAIDs, including aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, and celecoxib, did not alter cognitive degeneration in patients with mild cognitive impairment or Alzheimer disease.
The genetically-mediated effects of angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors showed an improvement in cognition in patients with Alzheimer disease dementia but not in functionality.
The analysis suggests a beneficial effect of aducanumab on functional and cognitive domain scores in adults with Alzheimer disease.
Memantine Plus Cholinesterase Inhibitors Improves Psychosis, Neurobehavioral Symptoms in Alzheimer DiseaseJuly 25, 2018
Investigators pooled data from patients from 3 phase 3, 24-week, randomized, placebo-controlled trials of MEM in patients with Alzheimer disease receiving concurrent ChEIs.
As the neurodegenerative processes of Alzheimer disease and Parkinson disease are different, early cognitive impairment also present differently in these diseases.
These results suggest that antipsychotic exposure has no impact on relative mortality.
Language deficits as well as EEG recordings may be of value for predicting Alzheimer's disease in patients with mild cognitive impairment.
Antidepressants categorized as potentially inappropriate medication for elderly patients were associated with an increased risk of dementia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses