These data indicate that cortisol levels may contribute to the cognitive decline observed in elderly adults with late-life depression.
Drinking sugary beverages has been previously linked to markers of preclinical Alzheimer disease, but the risk associated with consuming added sugars is not established.
In the previous SPRINT study, researchers compared an intensive BP reduction strategy (target systolic BP <120 mmHg) vs standard BP reduction strategy (target systolic BP <140 mmHg).
Although treatment with nabilone significantly improved agitation, cognition, and nutrition, the authors cautioned that sedation should be closely monitored.
Details of Montreal Cognitive Assessment Widely Publicized After President Donald Trump's EvaluationJuly 26, 2018
Many published news articles included details of the Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MoCA) in association with President Trump, some of which invited readers to self-administer the test.
Participants were drawn from the Health and Retirement Study, which provided multiple observations, genetic information, and previous alcohol use.
Given the lack of differences seen via the NIS, the authors suggested that subjective questionnaires may not be a trustworthy method to assess possible statin-associated cognitive deficits.
Results showed that most common NSAIDs, including aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, and celecoxib, did not alter cognitive degeneration in patients with mild cognitive impairment or Alzheimer disease.
The genetically-mediated effects of angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors showed an improvement in cognition in patients with Alzheimer disease dementia but not in functionality.
The analysis suggests a beneficial effect of aducanumab on functional and cognitive domain scores in adults with Alzheimer disease.
Memantine Plus Cholinesterase Inhibitors Improves Psychosis, Neurobehavioral Symptoms in Alzheimer DiseaseJuly 25, 2018
Investigators pooled data from patients from 3 phase 3, 24-week, randomized, placebo-controlled trials of MEM in patients with Alzheimer disease receiving concurrent ChEIs.
As the neurodegenerative processes of Alzheimer disease and Parkinson disease are different, early cognitive impairment also present differently in these diseases.
These results suggest that antipsychotic exposure has no impact on relative mortality.
Language deficits as well as EEG recordings may be of value for predicting Alzheimer's disease in patients with mild cognitive impairment.
Antidepressants categorized as potentially inappropriate medication for elderly patients were associated with an increased risk of dementia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Cannabis Use in Adolescence Associated With Poorer Mental Health Outcomes
- Cardioprotective Treatment May Reduce Adverse Effects in Schizophrenia
- Insomnia in Borderline Personality Disorder May Increase Suicide Risk
- FDA Approves Powerful New Opioid Despite Criticisms
- The Challenges of Identifying Biomarkers of Psychiatric Illness
- Heart Rate Variability Predicts Treatment Response in Anxious Depression
- Impulsivity in Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, ADHD
- Psychotropic Medication May Reduce Symptoms and Improve Functioning in PTSD
- Social Decline a Predictor of Conversion Outcome in High-Risk Individuals
- Buprenorphine/Samidorphan Helpful in Refractory Depression