Generic Name and Formulations:
Ciclesonide 80mcg/inh, 160mcg/inh; metered dose aerosol.
Indications for ALVESCO:
Maintenance treatment of asthma as prophylactic therapy in patients ≥12 years of age.
Previously on bronchodilators alone: initially 80mcg twice daily, max 160mcg twice daily. Previously on inhaled corticosteroids: initially 80mcg twice daily; max 320mcg twice daily. Previously on oral corticosteroids (see literature): 320mcg twice daily. Rinse mouth after use; avoid eyes.
Not for primary treatment of acute attack.
Infections. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider immuneglobulin prophylactic therapy. If adrenal insufficiency exists following systemic corticosteroid therapy, replacement with inhaled corticosteroids may exacerbate symptoms of adrenal insufficiency (eg, lassitude). Monitor for hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occur reduce dose gradually). Monitor for growth suppression in children. Monitor for changes in vision, increased intraocular pressure, cataracts. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Headache, nasopharyngitis, sinusitis, throat pain, upper respiratory infection, arthralgia, nasal congestion, back pain; rare: bronchospasm, immunosuppression, glaucoma, cataracts, oral candidiasis, decreased bone mineral density.
Inhaler—6.1g (60 inh)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders