Generic Name and Formulations:
Palonosetron (as HCl) 0.075mg/1.5mL, 0.25mg/5mL; IV inj; contains mannitol.
Indications for ALOXI:
Prevention of acute nausea and vomiting due to initial and repeat courses of moderately and highly emetogenic chemotherapy in adults. Prevention of delayed nausea and vomiting due to initial and repeat courses of moderately emetogenic chemotherapy in adults. Prevention of acute nausea and vomiting due to initial and repeat courses of emetogenic chemotherapy, including highly emetogenic cancer chemotherapy, in children 1 month–<17yrs. Prevention of post-op nausea and vomiting for up to 24hrs after surgery in adults.
≥17yrs: give 30 mins prior to chemotherapy. 0.25mg IV as a single-dose over 30 secs. Post-op: give immediately before anesthesia induction. 0.075mg IV over 10 secs.
<1 month: not established. 1 month–<17yrs: give 30 mins prior to chemotherapy. 0.02mg/kg IV as a single-dose over 15 mins; max 1.5mg/dose.
Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Selective 5-HT3 receptor antagonist.
Headache, constipation, bradycardia, QT prolongation, diarrhea, dizziness, tachycardia, hypotension.
Single-use vial (0.075mg/1.5mL)—5; (0.25mg/5mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition