Generic Name and Formulations:
Orlistat 60mg; caps.
Indications for ALLI:
Adjunct to reduced-calorie, low-fat diet for weight loss in overweight adults.
≥18yrs: 1 cap with each fat-containing meal. Max: 180mg/day. Also, take a multivitamin once daily at bedtime.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Organ transplant. Chronic malabsorption syndrome. Cholestasis.
Gallbladder disorder. Pancreatitis. Kidney stones. Seizures. Pregnancy, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant cyclosporine: not recommended. May decrease absorption of fat-soluble vitamins; supplement diet with a multivitamin (separate dosing by at least 2 hours). Variable effects when concomitant anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), amiodarone, antidiabetics, antiepileptics, antiretrovirals, thyroid drugs, or other weight loss products; monitor and dose adjustments may be needed.
GI effects (oily spotting, flatus with discharge, fecal urgency, fatty/oily stools, oily evacuation, increased defecation, fecal incontinence); rare: hepatic injury.
Caps—60, 90, 120, 170
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition