Generic Name and Formulations:
Orlistat 60mg; caps.
Indications for ALLI:
Adjunct to reduced-calorie, low-fat diet for weight loss in overweight adults.
≥18yrs: 1 cap with each fat-containing meal. Max: 180mg/day. Also, take a multivitamin once daily at bedtime.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Organ transplant. Chronic malabsorption syndrome. Cholestasis.
Gallbladder disorder. Pancreatitis. Kidney stones. Seizures. Pregnancy, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant cyclosporine: not recommended. May decrease absorption of fat-soluble vitamins; supplement diet with a multivitamin (separate dosing by at least 2 hours). Variable effects when concomitant anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), amiodarone, antidiabetics, antiepileptics, antiretrovirals, thyroid drugs, or other weight loss products; monitor and dose adjustments may be needed.
GI effects (oily spotting, flatus with discharge, fecal urgency, fatty/oily stools, oily evacuation, increased defecation, fecal incontinence); rare: hepatic injury.
Caps—60, 90, 120, 170
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Short Forms of Parent General Behavior Inventory Reliable at Identifying Youth Mood Symptoms
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents
- Strong Social Networks May Mitigate the Effects of Childhood Adversity
- Unexpected Effect of Substance Use Disorders on Recovery From Bipolar Depression
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Opioid Use Disorder Prevalence at Delivery on the Rise in the US, According to CDC
- Integrating Treatments for Opioid Use Disorder and Infectious Diseases