ALEVE PM OTC
Generic Name and Formulations:
Naproxen sodium 220mg, diphenhydramine HCl 25mg; caplets.
Indications for ALEVE PM:
Relief of occasional sleeplessness when associated with minor aches and pains.
Take with fluids. 2 caplets at bedtime. Max 2 caplets/24hrs.
<12yrs: not recommended.
Aspirin allergy. Unless sufficient time for a full night's sleep. Immediately before or after cardiac surgery. Sleeplessness without pain. Concomitant with other diphenhydramine-containing products (including topicals).
Increased risk of severe stomach bleeding (esp. ≥60yrs old). History of GI disorders (eg, heartburn, bleeding ulcers). Respiratory disorders (eg, emphysema, bronchitis). Increased risk of heart attack or failure, and stroke (may be fatal). Hypertension. Heart disease. Recent stroke. Liver cirrhosis. Renal disease. Asthma. Glaucoma. GI or urinary obstruction. Reevaluate if pain worsens or lasts >10 days or sleeplessness persists continuously >2 weeks. Elderly. Pregnancy (avoid during 3rd trimester). Nursing mothers.
NSAID + hypnotic (anticholinergic).
Avoid aspirin or other pain relievers. Increased risk of GI bleed with anticoagulants, corticosteroids, other OTC or Rx NSAID-containing products (eg, ibuprofen, naproxen, others), ≥3 alcoholic drinks/day, or prolonged use. Caution with diuretics. Additive effects with other antihistamines, anticholinergics, sedatives, tranquilizers, or any other sleep-aid.
Drowsiness, GI upset/bleed, vomit blood, feel faint, rash, redness, difficulty swallowing, symptoms of heart problems or stroke (eg, trouble breathing, chest pain, weakness, slurred speech, leg swelling), allergic reactions; discontinue if occur.
Caplets—20, 40, 80, 160
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation