Albuterol Syrup Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Albuterol (as sulfate) 2mg/5mL; strawberry flavor.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Albuterol Syrup:
2–4mg 3–4 times daily, may increase gradually; max 8mg 4 times daily. Elderly: initially 2mg 3–4 times daily, may increase gradually; max 8mg 4 times daily.
<2yrs: not recommended. 2–6yrs: 0.1mg/kg 3 times daily; max initially 2mg 3 times daily; may increase gradually to 0.2mg/kg 3 times daily; max 4mg 3 times daily. 6–12yrs: 2mg 3–4 times daily; may increase gradually; max 6mg 4 times daily.
Avoid excessive use. Sensitivity to sympathomimetics. Discontinue if paradoxical bronchospasm or cardiovascular effects occur. Cardiovascular disease (eg, coronary insufficiency, arrhythmias, hypertension). Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Seizure disorders. Reevaluate periodically. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid MAOIs, tricyclics within 14 days (increased cardiovascular effects). Oral sympathomimetics: not recommended. Antagonized by β-blockers. Monitor digoxin. Caution with other drugs that may lower serum potassium (eg, diuretics).
Tremor, nervousness, headache, dizziness, hyperactivity, insomnia, weakness, tachycardia, epistaxis, hypokalemia, throat irritation (inh), paradoxical bronchospasm; immediate hypersensitivity reactions (eg, rash, urticaria, angioedema).
Formerly known under the brand names Proventil (aerosol, soln, nebules), Ventolin (aerosol, soln, syrup).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Atypical Symptom Presentations in Pediatric OCD
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents
- Strong Social Networks May Mitigate the Effects of Childhood Adversity
- Light Therapy Effective for Older Adults with Nonseasonal Depression
- AMA Adopts Policy on Augmented Intelligence
- Parental Belief in Religion Lowers Child Suicide Risk
- Appetitive Symptoms, Fluoxetine, and Light Therapy: Predicting Treatment Response for Nonseasonal Major Depression
- Bipolar Disorder Patients Benefit From Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality