Generic Name and Formulations:
Albendazole 200mg; tabs.
Indications for ALBENZA:
Parenchymal neurocysticercosis from active lesions due to Taenia solium (pork tapeworm). Cystic hydatid disease of the liver, lung, and peritoneum due to Echinococcus granulosus (dog tapeworm).
Adults and Children:
See literature. Take with meals. Neurocysticercosis: Give for 8–30 days. Hydatid: Give for 28-day cycle followed by a 14-day free interval, for a total of 3 cycles. <6yrs: not recommended. ≥6yrs (<60kg): 15mg/kg per day in 2 divided doses; max 800mg/day. ≥6yrs (≥60kg): 400mg twice a day.
Examine for retinal lesions first. Monitor blood and hepatic function at beginning of each 28-day cycle and at least every 2 weeks; discontinue if significant increased liver enzymes or if decreases in blood counts occur. Neurocysticercosis: may need corticosteroids during the 1st week of therapy and anticonvulsants. Pregnancy (Cat.C): obtain (–) pregnancy test first. Avoid pregnancy during or for at least 1 month after stopping; discontinue if pregnancy occurs. Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by dexamethasone, praziquantel, cimetidine. Monitor theophylline.
Abnormal liver function test, abdominal pain, GI upset, headache, dizziness, increased intracranial pressure, meningeal signs, reversible alopecia, fever; rarely: leukopenia, rash, acute renal failure, hematological reactions.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition