Generic Name and Formulations:
Biperiden HCl 2mg; tabs.
Indications for AKINETON:
Adjunct in the therapy of all forms of parkinsonism (eg, idiopathic, postencephalitic, arteriosclerotic). To control extrapyramidal disorders secondary to neuroleptic drug therapy (eg, phenothiazines).
Parkinson's disease: 2mg three or four times daily. Individualize and titrate upward to max 16mg/24 hours. Extrapyramidal disorders: 2mg one to three times daily.
Narrow angle glaucoma. Bowel obstruction. Megacolon.
Glaucoma. Prostatism. Epilepsy. Arrhythmia. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Avoid concomitant alcohol. Potentiated anticholinergic effects with drugs that have secondary anticholinergic actions (eg, narcotics analgesics, phenothiazines, tricyclic antidepressants, antiarrhythmics, antihistamines).
Anticholinergic effects (eg, dry mouth, blurred vision, drowsiness, euphoria, disorientation, urinary retention, postural hypotension, constipation, agitation, disturbed behavior); rare: generalized choreic movements, reduction in REM sleep.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed