AIRDUO RESPICLICK Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Fluticasone propionate, salmeterol (as xinafoate) 55mcg/14mcg, 113mcg/14mcg, 232mcg/14mcg; per actuation; dry pwd for oral inh with a dose counter.
Indications for AIRDUO RESPICLICK:
Treatment of asthma in patients not adequately controlled on a long-term asthma control medication [eg, inhaled corticosteroid (ICS)] or whose disease warrants initiation of both an ICS and LABA.
Limitations Of use:
Not for the relief of acute bronchospasm.
Allow approx. 12hrs between doses. Take at same time each day. Not previously on ICS: initially 1 inh of 55/14mcg twice daily. Switching from an ICS or combination product: 1 inh of 55/14mcg or 113/14mcg or 232/14mcg twice daily, based on disease severity and previous asthma therapy. If insufficient response after 2wks, use next higher strength. Max 1 inh of 232/14mcg twice daily. Titrate to lowest effective dose after stability achieved. Rinse mouth after use.
<12yrs: not established.
Primary treatment of status asthmaticus or other acute episodes of asthma requiring intensive measures. Severe milk protein hypersensitivity.
Increased risk of asthma-related events (death, hospitalizations, intubations) with LABA monotherapy (without ICS). Do not initiate in rapidly or acutely deteriorating asthma. Not for use with other long-acting β2-agonists. Do not exceed recommended dose. Prescribe a short-acting, inhaled β2-agonist for acute symptoms; monitor for increased need. Immunosuppressed. Tuberculosis. Systemic infections. Ocular herpes simplex. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider immune globulin prophylaxis or antiviral treatment. Monitor for signs/symptoms of adrenal insufficiency when transferring from systemic steroids. May need supplemental systemic corticosteroids during periods of stress or a severe asthma attack. May unmask previously suppressed allergic conditions. Reevaluate periodically. Monitor for hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occurs, discontinue gradually), growth in children, intraocular pressure, glaucoma, or cataracts. Discontinue if paradoxical bronchospasm occurs; use alternative therapy. Cardiovascular disease (esp. coronary insufficiency, arrhythmias, hypertension). Eosinophilic conditions. Convulsive disorders. Thyrotoxicosis. Hyperresponsiveness to sympathomimetics. Diabetes. Ketoacidosis. Hypokalemia. Hyperglycemia. Hepatic impairment: monitor. Assess bone mineral density if risk factors exist (eg, prolonged immobilization, osteoporosis, or chronic use of drugs that can reduce bone mass [eg, anticonvulsants, oral steroids]). Do not use with spacers. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Concomitant strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole, ritonavir, atazanavir, clarithromycin, indinavir, nefazodone, nelfinavir, saquinavir, telithromycin): not recommended. Caution during or within 2 weeks of discontinuing MAOIs or tricyclic antidepressants, β-blockers (consider cardioselective), K+-depleting diuretics.
Corticosteroid + long-acting beta-2 agonist (LABA).
Nasopharyngitis, oral candidiasis, back pain, headache, cough; hypersensitivity reactions.
RespiClick (60 actuations)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders