Generic Name and Formulations:
Tirofiban (as HCl monohydrate) 50mcg/mL; per bag or vial; soln for IV infusion; 250mcg/mL; per vial; soln for IV bolus.
Medicure Pharma, Inc.
Indications for AGGRASTAT:
To reduce the rate of thrombotic cardiovascular events (combined endpoint of death, MI, or refractory ischemia/repeat cardiac procedure) in patients with non-ST elevation acute coronary syndrome.
May give bolus dose via a syringe or IV pump. Administer 25mcg/kg intravenously within 5mins and then 0.15mcg/kg/min via IV infusion pump for up to 18hrs. Renal impairment (CrCl ≤60mL/min): 25mcg/kg intravenously within 5mins and then 0.075mcg/kg/min for up to 18hrs.
Within previous 30 days: active internal bleeding, bleeding diathesis, major surgery, or severe physical trauma. History of thrombocytopenia after previous tirofiban therapy.
Monitor platelet counts 6hrs after initiation and daily thereafter. If platelet decreases to <90,000/mm3, monitor to exclude pseudothrombocytopenia. Discontinue tirofiban (and heparin) if thrombocytopenia confirmed. Previous exposure to a GP IIb/IIIa blocker may increase risk of thrombocytopenia. Minimize other arterial and venous punctures, IM injections, catheter use, nasotracheal intubation to lower bleeding risk. Severe renal insufficiency. Hemodialysis. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased risk of bleeding with concomitant fibrinolytics, anticoagulants, antiplatelets.
Bleeding (may be fatal), pelvic pain, bradycardia, coronary artery dissection; thrombocytopenia, anaphylaxis.
Premixed bag (100mL, 250mL)—1; Premixed vial (100mL)—1; Premixed bolus vial (15mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation