Generic Name and Formulations:
Trivalent, inactivated, "split virion" influenza vaccine (virus types A and B); contains a total of 45mcg of hemagglutinin per 0.5mL dose; formulation changes annually; susp for IM inj; may contain trace amounts of neomycin sulfate, polymyxin B.
Indications for AFLURIA:
Adults and Children:
<5yrs: not recommended. Each dose is 0.5mL by IM inj once in the deltoid. May be administered by needle and syringe (≥5yrs) or PharmaJet Stratis Needle-Free Injection System (18–64yrs only); see full labeling. 5–8yrs: 1 or 2 doses at least 1 month apart (depending on vaccination history as per annual ACIP recommendation). ≥9yrs: 1 dose.
Allergy to egg protein. Life-threatening reaction to any previous flu vaccine.
Use current formulation only. Have appropriate medical treatment and supervision readily available. Guillain-Barre syndrome within 6 weeks of previous flu vaccine. Immunocompromised. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant vaccines: insufficient data (see full labeling). Immunosuppressants: may get suboptimal response.
Local reactions (eg, tenderness, redness, swelling, pain, itching, bruising), headache, myalgia, malaise, muscle aches, irritability, cough, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, increased fever and febrile seizures (esp. <5yrs old, associated w. 2010 Southern Hemisphere formulation).
Single-dose prefilled syringe 0.5mL (preservative-free)—10 (without needles); Multi-dose vial 5mL (contains thimerosal)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation