AFEDITAB CR Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Nifedipine 30mg, 60mg; ext-rel tabs.
Indications for AFEDITAB CR:
Swallow whole. Initially 30mg once daily, titrate over 7–14 days; usual maintenance dose: 30–60mg once daily; max 90mg/day.
Aortic stenosis. Angina. Severe obstructive coronary artery disease. Heart failure. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Calcium channel blocker (CCB) (dihydropyridine).
Hypotension, angina and heart failure possible with β-blockers (esp. timolol). Potentiated by quinidine (monitor heart rate; adjust dose); diltiazem, verapamil, doxazosin, ketoconazole, itraconazole, fluconazole, cimetidine, quinupristin/dalfopristin, erythromycin, nefazodone, valproic acid, (reduce nifedipine dose); amprenavir, atazanavir, delavirine, fosamprenavir, indinavir, nelfinavir, ritonavir, grapefruit juice (avoid). Antagonized by rifampin, rifapentine, phenytoin, phenobarbitone, carbamazepine, St. John's Wort. Potentiates digoxin, tacrolimus (monitor). Antagonizes doxazosin. Hypotension possible with fentanyl. Monitor oral anticoagulants. Hyperglycemia with acarbose.
Headache, flushing/heat sensation, fatigue, dizziness, constipation, nausea, edema; rare: increased angina, acute MI.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Significant Rates of Major Depressive Disorder Found in Dementia
- Link Between Vitamin D Levels and Intracranial Volume in Schizophrenia
- TBI Linked to Increased Suicide Risk
- Behavioral Executive Dysfunction Associated With Chronic Kidney Disease
- Factors That Predict Treatment Outcomes, Remission in Pediatric OCD