Generic Name and Formulations:
Flunisolide 80mcg/inh; metered-dose inhaler with a built-in spacer.
Indications for AEROSPAN:
Maintenance treatment of asthma as prophylactic therapy. Limitation of use: not for relief of acute bronchospasm.
Do not use with an external spacer or holding chamber devices. ≥12yrs: initially 160mcg twice daily (approx. 12hrs apart); may increase to max 320mcg twice daily. Titrate to lowest effective dose after asthma stability achieved. Rinse mouth after use.
<6yrs: not recommended. Do not use with an external spacer or holding chamber devices. 6–11yrs: initally 80mcg twice daily (approx. 12hrs apart); may increase to max 160mcg twice daily. Titrate to lowest effective doe after asthma stability achieved. Rinse mouth after use.
Primary treatment of status asthmaticus or other acute asthma episodes where intensive measures are required.
Treat oropharyngeal candidiasis if develops. Immunosuppression. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider immune globulin prophylactic therapy; consider antiviral treatment if develops. Untreated tuberculosis or systemic infections. Ocular herpes simplex. Monitor for adrenal insufficiency when transferring from systemic steroids. May need supplemental systemic corticosteroids during periods of stress or a severe asthma attack. May unmask previously suppressed allergic conditions. Monitor for hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occurs, discontinue gradually), growth in children, intraocular pressure, glaucoma, or cataracts. Assess bone mineral density (BMD) if risk factors exist (eg, prolonged immobilization, osteoporosis, postmenopausal, advanced age, others). Discontinue if paradoxical bronchospasm occurs; use alternative therapy. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Pharyngitis, rhinitis, headache, sinusitis, increased cough; infections, adrenal suppression, decreased BMD.
Inhalation aerosol—5.1g (60 inh), 8.9g (120 inh)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Significant Rates of Major Depressive Disorder Found in Dementia
- Link Between Vitamin D Levels and Intracranial Volume in Schizophrenia
- TBI Linked to Increased Suicide Risk
- Behavioral Executive Dysfunction Associated With Chronic Kidney Disease
- Factors That Predict Treatment Outcomes, Remission in Pediatric OCD