ADVIL ALLERGY & CONGESTION RELIEF OTC
Generic Name and Formulations:
Ibuprofen 200mg, chlorpheniramine maleate 4mg, phenylephrine HCI 10mg; coated tabs.
Pfizer Consumer Healthcare
Indications for ADVIL ALLERGY & CONGESTION RELIEF:
Nasal congestion, headache, rhinorrhea, sinus pressure, fever, minor aches and pains.
Take with food. 1 tab every 4hrs; max 6 tabs/24hrs.
12yrs: not recommended.
Aspirin allergy. Immediately before or after cardiac surgery. During or within 14 days of MAOIs.
Increased risk of severe stomach bleeding (esp. ≥60yrs old). History of GI disorders (eg, heartburn, bleeding ulcers). Respiratory disorders (eg, emphysema, bronchitis). Increased risk of heart attack or failure, and stroke. Hypertension. Heart disease. Recent stroke. Liver cirrhosis. Renal disease. Asthma. Thyroid disease. Diabetes. Glaucoma. GI or urinary obstruction. Reevaluate if fever persists or worsens >3 days or pain/nasal congestion lasts >7 days. Elderly. Pregnancy (avoid during 3rd trimester). Nursing mothers.
NSAID + antihistamine + sympathomimetic.
Hypertensive crisis with MAOIs. β-blockers may increase the pressor effects of sympathomimetics. Caution with diuretics. Avoid aspirin, phenylephrine- or chlorpheniramine-containing products, or other pain relievers, nasal decongestants, antihistamines. Alcohol, sedatives and tranquilizers may increase drowsiness. Increased risk of GI bleed with anticoagulants, corticosteroids, other OTC or Rx NSAIDs, ≥3 alcoholic drinks/day, or prolonged use.
Drowsiness, nervousness, dizziness, insomnia, GI upset/bleed, symptoms of heart problems or stroke (eg, trouble breathing, feel faint, slurred speech), redness, swelling, allergic reactions; discontinue if occur.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Healthcare Community Should Favor More Restrictive Alcohol Policies
- How to Respond to a Patient's Request for Prayer: A Clinician's Dilemma
- Major Barriers to Useful Risk Prediction Must Be Overcome to Reach the Full Potential of Big Data
- ACA Coverage Gains Include Workers Without Insurance
- Steps Provided for Discharging Patients From Practice