Adenosine Vials Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Adenosine 3mg/mL; soln for IV infusion; preservative-free.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Adenosine Vials:
Adjunct to thallium-201 myocardial perfusion scintigraphy in patients unable to undergo adequate exercise stress.
Give peripherally as a continuous IV infusion. ≥18yrs: 140mcg/kg/min over 6 mins for a total dose of 0.84mg/kg. Infusion rate (mL/min)= 0.140 (mg/kg/min) x total body weight (kg)/adenosine conc. (3mg/mL). See full labeling.
<18yrs: not established.
2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block or sinus node disease (eg, sick sinus syndrome, symptomatic bradycardia), unless paced. Bronchoconstructive or bronchospastic disease (eg, asthma).
Have resuscitative measures available. Increased risk of cardiovascular events in patients with acute MI, unstable angina, or cardiovascular instability; avoid use. Pre-existing 1st-degree AV block or bundle branch block. Discontinue if persistent or symptomatic high-grade AV block or hypotension occurs. Autonomic dysfunction. Stenotic valvular heart disease. Pericarditis or pericardial effusions. Stenotic carotid artery disease with cerebrovascular insufficiency. Hypovolemia. Obstructive lung disease (eg, emphysema, bronchitis). Discontinue if severe respiratory difficulties occur. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May be potentiated by β-blockers, cardiac glycosides, calcium channel blockers; use caution. Increased risk of seizures with concomitant methylxanthines (eg, caffeine, aminophylline, theophylline): not recommended. Potentiated by dipyridamole.
Flushing, chest discomfort, dyspnea, headache, throat/neck/jaw discomfort, GI discomfort, lightheadedness/dizziness; cardiac arrest, sustained ventricular tachycardia, MI, bronchoconstriction, hypo- or hypertension, cerebrovascular accident, convulsive seizures, atrial fibrillation.
Formerly known under the brand name Adenoscan.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation