While many treatments for substance use disorder are not evidence based, several evidence-based approaches have shown effectiveness in court-mandated treatment settings.
Electrical pulses are sent through small needles that are inserted in the ear to combat the early stages of detoxification, leading to stabilization.
AAFP and other signatories also call on FDA to apply the proposal to other combustible tobacco products.
Financial incentives added to free cessation aids can improve the rate of sustained abstinence among smokers.
Nine online networks, operating 53 websites, have been warned that they must stop illegally marketing potentially dangerous versions of opioid medications.
Youth with asthma have considerably higher use of tobacco products than those without asthma.
From 2011 to 2017 there were decreases in current use of any tobacco products among high and middle school students.
Researchers emphasized the necessity of developing targeted interventions to address such health disparities among American Indian communities.
UK National Health Service Explores Justification for Rationing Elective Surgery in Smokers, Obesity
Recent measures in the United Kingdom have proposed restricting access to elective surgery for smokers and people with obesity.
CDC Report: Integrating Tobacco Cessation Interventions in Mental Health, Substance Abuse Treatment Facilities
Providing barrier-free access to proven cessation treatments is critical to reduce smoking-related disease and death in the United States.
Non-research industry payments to physicians may be associated with increases in opioid prescribing rates.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Belief That Abortion Harms Women's Mental Health Appears Misinformed
- Models Derived From Electronic Health Records Effective in Predicting Suicide Risk
- Probiotics Effective in Reducing Rehospitalization for Patients With Mania
- Caffeine Sodium Benzoate Effective as Electroconvulsive Therapy Augmentation
- Personality Disorders Related to Adverse Outcomes in Bipolar Disorder
- Court-Mandated Substance Abuse Treatment: Exploring the Ethics and Efficacy
- ADHD Treatments
- Esketamine Nasal Spray: A New Treatment Possibility for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- Pharmacogenetics in Psychiatry: Promising Developments and Potential Pitfalls
- Substance Abuse and Primary Psychosis: A Closer Look
- Comorbid OCD Confers Greater Neurocognitive Impairment in Schizophrenia
- Smartphone Technology Allows Diagnosis of Autism in ResearchKit Feasibility Study
- APA: Suicide Prevention Should Be a Public Health Priority
- Higher Blood Pressure at Midlife Increases Risk for Dementia
- Preop Psychiatric Diagnoses Not Tied to Bariatric Surgery Outcomes in Teens