Generic Name and Formulations:
Pegademase bovine 250 Units/mL; soln for IM inj; preservative-free.
Sigma-Tau Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for ADAGEN:
Enzyme replacement therapy for adenosine deaminase (ADA) deficiency in patients with severe combined immunodeficiency disease (SCID) who are not suitable candidates for, or who have failed, bone marrow transplantation.
Individualize. Give by IM inj every 7 days. 1st dose: 10 Units/kg. 2nd dose: 15 Units/kg. 3rd dose: 20 Units/kg. Maintenance dose: 20 Units/kg per week. May increase by 5 Units/kg/week if necessary; max single dose 30 Units/kg. Biochemical goals: maintain plasma ADA activity (trough levels before maintenance inj) in the range of 15–35μmol/hr/mL; decline in erythrocyte dATP to ≤0.005–0.015μmol/mL packed erythrocytes, or ≤1% of the total erythrocyte adenine nucleotide (ATP + dATP) content, with a normal ATP level, as measured in a pre-injection sample.
As preparatory or support therapy for bone marrow transplantation. Severe thrombocytopenia.
Determine plasma ADA activity and red cell dATP prior to treatment. Measure plasma ADA activity (pre-injection) every 1–2 weeks during the first 8–12 weeks to establish dose. Once dATP level has fallen adequately, measure 2–4 times a year during the remainder of the first year and 2–3 times a year thereafter. Between 3 and 9 months, determine plasma ADA twice a month, then monthly until after 18–24 months of treatment. After 2 years of maintenance therapy, measure plasma ADA every 2–4 months and red cell dATP twice yearly. Monitor immune function and clinical status; improvement may be gradual but should be apparent by end of first year of therapy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate vidarabine. May be antagonized by 2'-deoxycoformycin.
Headache, inj site pain; possible antibody formation (perform assay if suspected).
Single-use vial (1.5mL)—4
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis