ACETAZOLAMIDE INJECTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Acetazolamide 500mg/vial; pwd for inj after reconstitution; preservative-free.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for ACETAZOLAMIDE INJECTION:
Give by IV inj. Edema: give 1–2 days on, 1 day off. 250mg–375mg once daily. CHF: 250–375mg once daily in the AM. Acute high altitude sickness: see literature.
Hypokalemia. Hyponatremia. Severe renal, hepatic, or adrenocortical impairment. Hyperchloremic acidosis. Cirrhosis. Chronic noncongestive angle-closure glaucoma. Sulfonamide allergy.
Respiratory impairment. Renal calcium calculi. Diabetes. Gout. Monitor blood and electrolytes. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Carbonic anhydrase inhibitor.
Inhibits renal excretion of basic drugs and promotes excretion of acidic drugs. May increase toxicity of salicylates (acidosis), folic acid antagonists. Hypokalemia with corticosteroids, potassium wasting diuretics. Monitor phenytoin, primidone, antihyperglycemics, quinidine, lithium, cyclosporine. Antagonizes methenamine.
Anorexia, drowsiness, confusion, malaise, depression, GI distress, paresthesias, tinnitus, acidosis, initial hypokalemia, hyperuricemia, transient myopia; renal calculi, nephrotoxicity, hepatic dysfunction, blood dyscrasias, rash, fever, photosensitivity (rare).
Formerly known under the brand name Diamox.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad